12v DC wiring

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
lamby190
Main scooter: Lambretta Li cutdown

Help !! i've recently fitted a new v4.0 BGM 12v DC stator along with a 12v DC Casa Lambretta loom , everything seems to work but i'm not sure if i've wired it correctly in order to charge the battery . There are loads of wiring diagrams out there and i feel like i've studied all of them but not really understood what i'm doing . Can someone tell me in simple terms how i should wire the regulator , junction box and battery , please :cry:
nick b
Main scooter: gp200and rt195

i think what you have to understand with electrics they are all moving forward from the stator to the headset via the brake switch ,regulator [regulates voltage] , cdi [engine] and bulb holder that distributes to the lights etc ,i have had my own problems but be confident as long as it starts doesnt blow fuses and the lights and horn works ,i think stickys book does a casa loom wiring diagram might be worth the investment good luck just make sure you have good earths
coaster

lamby190 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:29 am Help !! i've recently fitted a new v4.0 BGM 12v DC stator along with a 12v DC Casa Lambretta loom , everything seems to work but i'm not sure if i've wired it correctly in order to charge the battery . There are loads of wiring diagrams out there and i feel like i've studied all of them but not really understood what i'm doing . Can someone tell me in simple terms how i should wire the regulator , junction box and battery , please :cry:
That isnt going to be asy without seeing the diagram for the loom you have fitted. Also, the BGM stator does not put out DC, it is only wired to enable it to produce DC by replacing the standard regulator with a single phase Wassel type Reectifier/regulator. You dont mention if you have done that :?

Most people adapt an AC loom and just add a wire from the battery positive to the brown wire from the stator and earth the other side of the battery. Without doing anything else, the lights and horn (must be changed to a DC type) will work off the battery without the engine running and the battery gets the full output from the Wassel rectifier regulator. I didn't know that anyone was selling a loom for the Wassel type :?
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

I presume the bike is running, Most new looms AC or DC only have one feed wire from the back to the headset, It will more than likely be a brown and stop off at the rear Brake pedal and the horn before getting to the headset. But before you get there you need to connect your DC regulator, as above that's not the same as the little BGM unit that is an AC regulator and a trickle feed to a DC battery. So the wassel unit has normally 2 yellows, these are connected to the 2 yellows from the stator. You have a black that has a ground ring so needs to be bolted to the bike with a good clean earth connection. then the last wire is a red. Depends what you have at the backend you may have the round GP type junction box but these have several 2 or 3 pin connection sockets, whatever you have you connect the red to your brown from the loom. If your loom has a purple connect that with the brown and red. If no purple you will have purples up at the headset that you need to connect to Brown or some stuff wont work.
nick b
Main scooter: gp200and rt195

i have a bgm 2 wire stator it is at least 5 years old
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information