Sealed bearing on crankcase side?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Davidsquaredson
Main scooter: Early Eibar Jet 200

This picture was posted on another forum. Someone put the bearing in with both sides sealed. BeAring is pregreased. As advertised this grease is supposed to last for the design life of the bearing. So why do we remove them? Is this not an improvement over original and relying on case oil getting into the gear sufficiently and without any debris?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
carpe scooter diem

1974 Rally 200
1965 Li150
1963 TV175
1974 Eibar Jet200
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

I’m interested in this too, realise it a bit different but my replacement end plate bearing was sealed both sides. I was advised to remove the seals but didn’t really understand why?
tony172
Main scooter: vespa t5

Also interested, can't see any reason why you'd need to remove them
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

It's a critical part to rely on a greased bearing, especially as it gets quite hot. That's my opinion based on guesswork and little else
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

There are three main types of variations on the generic deep groove ball bearing:

Open
Shielded
Sealed

The 2RS type has lubrication built in.

That's not where it ends, though.

Maximum speeds are less for grease lubrication than for oil. That's because of the difference in lubricity. Greased, sealed bearings can & do get hot. The oil, however, is constantly moving around in it's much larger confines, shedding heat as it goes via the internal ribbing of the crankcase assembly.

Personally, I think the crankcase lubrication via an oil shower/mist is a very good method, so I remain true to the original design intent.

Where I do vary is by using ATF, which cured a slipping six plate clutch, so I've been using it for years in my own & other Lambrettas.
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

You should pick the seal out on the gearbox side to allow oil lubrication. You will notice that the manufacturer of the bearing is not very generous with the grease!
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

If you’re having that level of seal problems then you need to address how you’re building your motor.

The seal on that bearing doesn’t have a spring in it like a normal seal. It’s essentially a drag inducing dust cover and a waste of time to run it.
dirtyhandslopez

You say the "bearing is pregreased"
How do you know the manufacturer actually put grease in the bearing in your engine without removing the seal/cover?
Manufacturers are not perfect and make mistakes all the time.
I have opened sealed bearings only to find no grease had be applied to the bearing before sealing them.
Is it worth the risk to run the bearing without checking?
That's not going anywhere...
Davidsquaredson
Main scooter: Early Eibar Jet 200

Great answers. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
carpe scooter diem

1974 Rally 200
1965 Li150
1963 TV175
1974 Eibar Jet200
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic