Bloody lights !

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Cootscoot
Main scooter: TV200

Hi all I’m looking for some help on my lammy with the lights , problem is I’ve no lights or horn ! Is there a way to find out whether the stator is producing power ? It’s a 12v ignition system
Any help would be great ..thanks
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

with a Voltmeter or at least 12V test lamp with a couple of wires soldered to it, it's easy enough.
1st thing is anything working?
Depending on your loom, lots of simplified AC or DC? ones kicking around then do you have a Key switch light or handlebar. The simplest way to answer your question your stator has wires going to the CDI that's all ignition so if the bikes running forget them. If its not running your lights won't work????
You should have one other wire going to a regulator. Normally an aluminium box with fins, again simplest form has 1 wire in 1 out to your headset normally brown Connect your test lamp or voltmeter to the Brown out, the other wire from test light or VM to a good ground, Volts set to AC should give 13-15ish volts or light your bulb. If nothing, test the 1st wire into the regulator direct from the stator. If it lights this is unregulated so if you rev it the bulb will likely blow, if you use a VM it can be anything up to 30V with revs or 6-9 ticking over.
If you get a light remove the top of the headset and look for a terminal that's come out. The brown is the main feed up, again depending on the loom you will have a purple that should also have voltage like the brown at the back. step by step. but easy enough. My pet hate is a lot of looms stop off at the foot brake pedal and a corroded terminal can leave no power at horn or the top end
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Check your earths. There should be an earth from the bulb case to the frame somehow. Often it's a wire from the bulb holder to one of the screws that hold the control rods.

Commenting on wiring is a minefield. Fundamentally, you should have a wire that runs from your regulator to your headset, to the bulb holder. This carries the power. On some circuits there are more than one, but there should be at least one. From the back of the headlight, this then feeds the switches that direct the voltage to the horn and lights. But you also need an earth for the current to go to.

If your wirings all OK, you could have a broken wire going to your switches. Check you have an earth at the front, an earth from the mag flange to the frame, and good earth from the regulator to the frame.
Cootscoot
Main scooter: TV200

Thanks for the help , it ended up my stator packed in !
I’m now looking for recommendations for a good lighter flywheel and stator at a reasonable price if anyone can recommend 🙂 ..
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

I used Anthony Tambs at Scootronics for my 12v kit. Great quality and fair price. Find him on FB.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

There are plenty of suppliers. I got my first kit with the lightened flywheel from AF Rayspeed, who were very helpful in choosing the right kit getting it to work.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Rare for a stator lighting coils to pack in. Easy to check continuity with a voltmeter often the cable has been rubbing the flywheel or the final earth tab has parted company or a loose rivet all easy fixes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information