Suzuki 190

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:47 pm
kevspeed wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:22 pm Had a couple of 190 conversions,one with a 150 barrel bored out,and one with a Tv175 barrel,both went very well,but the Tv barrel had the edge.
What do you think is a realistic maximum bore for the small block cylinders?

The reason that I ask is that as the result of a cock-up, I received a couple of pistons of the wrong diameter for a project.

They are 65 mm diameter, cast alloy, 18 mm wrist pin (I've never had a problem with bushes or caps BTW) & are 38 mm compression height. They have one ring supplied but there's room to add another ring groove if it was a concern.

I've dug them out because a mate is going down the route of an Indian 175 barrel (I told him not to!) & the piston he will get could be fit only for the bin. Along with the barrel, probably. :roll:
A couple of years ago I saw an Indian cylinder being supplied new with pattern Suzuki 190 piston for an almost unbelievable price, however, the dealer in question did not / does not have a good reputation. I could see that the photo on their website clearly showed a SIL 150 barrel being used for the conversion, which I was happy with as I know that they're hard and suitable for this conversion, so wanted to be sure that what I was looking at is what I'd receive, especially stressing that I didn't want the kit if some dodgy pattern barrel arrived. I also wanted to know a bit more about the head that they supply as it was cheap enough to make machining one of my existing 150 heads not worth the time and effort, providing theirs was worth fitting. You can guess where this is going...

Either the next day or following, the parcel arrived and was well package... good service so far. I then pulled out the head, which was a horrible thin casting that looked like it would warp/blow in no time, with the wrong piston crown profile, lots of porous pockets open from the machining and would require machining to correct the profile error. In other words, not worth my time, needing the same amount of rework as starting with one of my 150 heads would have involved, based on a horribly cast thin design, and nothing like I was assured it would be!

The barrel was even worse! Not only was it not the SIL 150 cylinder from the photo but it was indeed a really badly cast aftermarket copy. It had a tiny inlet that didn't match any original barrel spec (size or position), inlet stud holes that were very shallow and had hardly any thread in them, tiny transfer feeds that were nothing like correct size/position at base gasket face, transfers that were small and badly cast through their length, a thin flange type exhaust area (studs only going through this flange and likely to strip thread or break flange if you were to ground out), and... worst of all... the core diameter between the fins was less than a standard 150 cylinder, meaning that the bore wall must have been paper thin!!! TBH they had done well to machine it without breaking through!

I immediately phoned them to ask why they had sent me exactly the sort of item that I'd stated I didn't want and wouldn't place the order unless they could assure me that I'd get what the photo showed on their website; a converted SIL150 cylinder. Rather than say, "Sorry about that, return it and we'll refund you.", I had them trying to argue that the item was fit for purpose and there was no reason why they should refund me! I ended up speaking to the boss there and eventually he agreed to refund me once it was returned. I posted the kit back up to them, signed for, and then the problems trying to get my money back began. Weeks and many phone calls later, I managed to get my money back.

What a flipping waste of time, effort and money (postage not covered, trip to post office, etc)! Until this point I'd not had anything but good service from the shop in question but that had all changed under the new ownership. Needless to say, I've not shopped with them since.

Anyway, the point of this was to highlight that using an Indian 150 shouldn't be an issue if you're starting with a genuine SIL barrel, however, some of the backstreet cylinders being supplied by certain UK dealers are not up to the job and not worth the money, cheap as they are.

Adam
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Adam, nobody knows which dealer you're referring to. :-)
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... LOL.

Sad but true :(
Mrnice71
Main scooter: Lambretta series 3

Yes l know and they even took down that great gearbox visualiser that was on there website 😡
Lamaddict

I don’t think the GP SIL barrel has the same size ports as the TV/SR 185 barrel. The 64mm SR185 iron barrels with aluminum fins, from Indian measure up perfectly with the standard Suzuki 64mm rings and piston spacing. The Indian barrels do need work on all the ports and best left to a professional. Mick Abbey has just done another one for me and put in a boost port 😎.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

tavspeed wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:05 pm cheapest bang for bucks,200 barrell and piston,machine spigot to suit 150 casing,drill out one of the cylinder holes,and you can squeeze them on after fettling gaskets etc
What used to be known as a 'baby 200'. Definitely maximum result for minimum effort. I started down this route, but finding an original 200 cc cylinder was a problem. I was advised against trying it on the latest 'Stage 4' barrels with widened ports can interfere with the drilled cylinder stud hole.

If anyone's done it with one of those barrels I'd be interested to know.
Lamaddict

I’ve done one of those aS well on one if the latest SIL stage 4 barrels. 3 stud holes to 14mm and one near the manifold to 13mm. Use a 200 head and drill out that as well. I messy job but it work’s okay doesn’t feel right pushing it over the studs etc
kevspeed

Lamaddict wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:41 am I’ve done one of those aS well on one if the latest SIL stage 4 barrels. 3 stud holes to 14mm and one near the manifold to 13mm. Use a 200 head and drill out that as well. I messy job but it work’s okay doesn’t feel right pushing it over the studs etc
Did a few of these,but they 'clattered' a bit.Not sure if it was existing wear,or the fact that the stub was a bit thin.
Lukemx82

Built a Suzuki 190 last year using an indian SR 185 (64mm) alloy/iron lined barrel and Suzuki TS piston. 150 italian gearbox.
Runs really well, fast enough but also really comfortable at a steady pace. Really enjoyed building it too.
If you are happy / capable enough do it yourself can be done on the cheap, but if you were going to pay a shop to do it I agree with most that a bolt on small block kit would be cheaper and easier.

Cleaned up all the ports and port timing myself and also re profiled the head.
Run it with a 58x116 long rod crank and a 1.5 mm base packer, no top and tailing required.
Leak down tested, and used a scootrs inlet manifold and a PWK carb through the airbox with the BGM wide airboot.

It did run a little hot whilst running it in, but temperatures settled down after about 300 miles or so. I use a Koso cylinder head temperature gauge on it to keep an eye on temperatures.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information