Mount

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Hi folks

Changing a rear shock mount easy or hard job?

Opinions please.

Cgt75b
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

If you mean the rear shock absorber it's just a matter of the two nuts, take the weight off the unit and pull it off evenly at both ends. Put some copper or normal grease on the mounting before you fit the new one.
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

Thgink he may mean the Mount on the Casing ? if so i believe its Pressed in ? never done it myselkf but heard it can be done ?
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
cgt75b

Toddy wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:49 am Thgink he may mean the Mount on the Casing ? if so i believe its Pressed in ? never done it myselkf but heard it can be done ?
That’s the one Toddy, so it sounds like it needs to be pressed out also?
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

cgt75b wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:03 am
Toddy wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:49 am Thgink he may mean the Mount on the Casing ? if so i believe its Pressed in ? never done it myselkf but heard it can be done ?
That’s the one Toddy, so it sounds like it needs to be pressed out also?
Yes it does ive seen somewhere on the web how someone did it cant find it though :(
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

I had a casing mount decide to come out of it's own accord. No real damage done as I was wearing brown corduroys @ the time. (It was in the 70's)

It was pressed back in far too easily, so was tapped & a big bolt fitted. We'd have probably used Loctite if the same were to occur today.

That all leads me to conclude that they are a press fit, but not a heavy interference fit & a big part of ensuring retention is the riveting of the head once fitted, though the fitting of a fastener is probably as good.

I hope that helps :)
cgt75b

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:40 pm I had a casing mount decide to come out of it's own accord. No real damage done as I was wearing brown corduroys @ the time. (It was in the 70's)

It was pressed back in far too easily, so was tapped & a big bolt fitted. We'd have probably used Loctite if the same were to occur today.

That all leads me to conclude that they are a press fit, but not a heavy interference fit & a big part of ensuring retention is the riveting of the head once fitted, though the fitting of a fastener is probably as good.

That is nearly as much help as the first reply lol
gaz_powell

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:40 pm I had a casing mount decide to come out of it's own accord. No real damage done as I was wearing brown corduroys @ the time. (It was in the 70's)

I've just bought some brown boot cut cords.....
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

cgt75b wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:40 pm Hi folks

Changing a rear shock mount easy or hard job?

Opinions please.

Cgt75b
cgt75b wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:59 pm

That is nearly as much help as the first reply lol
Am I missing the point, somehow, in expressing my opinion as requested?

"That all leads me to conclude that they are a press fit, but not a heavy interference fit"

My apologies if my opinion was not quantified, but back then, I had no access to an hydraulic press with a pressure gauge.

Jeez! You lay down & I'll fan you!
cgt75b

Thanks for all the replies.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information