Annoying Starting Problem

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

Li Series 2, SH1/2 carb, 12v electronic ignition.

Starting from cold is no problem: 2nd or 3rd kick and it's good. Out for a ride, stop somewhere for tea and cakes, say half an hour, it starts fine.

Stop for 5 minutes to buy a paper, and more often than not there's a problem. It can take 5 or more kicks before it catches and then it "chugs" along at what seems like half normal speed. There's no response to any throttle movement other than a change in the intake noise. It can take a minute or two before it picks up and is back to normal.

Any ideas as to what the problem is?
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Sounds electrical check your earth's are clean and tight check your green red and white to the cdi are actually on the spades and clean disconnect green for loom at cdi and start the scoot as could be ignition related then it's your stator pick up height not correct

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

essexgp
Main scooter: Indian Gp200 Indian Gp Cutdown

Try turning the fuel off and leave the engine running for a short while before switching it off.

My standard Gp did exactly the same thing, short stop and when it started it felt like it was flooded, was advised to try that and 9 times out of 10 it starts as good as gold
rosscla

Take it for a run, get it warmed up, stop it and check for fuel in the airhose.

It sounds like it's flooding.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
nick b
Main scooter: gp200and rt195

i had the same problem started cold but once warm it wouldnt start the same as you described, i had a sh22 carb and it was caused by petrol pooling in the hose ,i would turn off fuel tap and let it run a little before turning off and start with no throttle very slowly engaging it.to help you can either buy a bgm hose that has a drain at the bottom or drill a small hole in the bottom of the hose,i eventually upgraded up to a pwk 28 as i have an rt195 and the sh22 wasnt really up to it all staring problem stopped the minute i changed it
MightyGem

garry inglis wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:29 pm Sounds electrical check your earth's are clean and tight check your green red and white to the cdi are actually on the spades and clean disconnect green for loom at cdi and start the scoot as could be ignition related then it's your stator pick up height not correct
Thanks, I'll check that.
Try turning the fuel off and leave the engine running for a short while before switching it off.
Yes, I do that all the time.
Take it for a run, get it warmed up, stop it and check for fuel in the airhose.
It sounds like it's flooding.
Thanks.
i had the same problem started cold but once warm it wouldnt start the same as you described, i had a sh22 carb and it was caused by petrol pooling in the hose ,i would turn off fuel tap and let it run a little before turning off and start with no throttle very slowly engaging it.to help you can either buy a bgm hose that has a drain at the bottom or drill a small hole in the bottom of the hose
Thanks.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

After reading your post again I think the other lads are on the right track

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MightyGem

garry inglis wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:28 pm After reading your post again I think the other lads are on the right track
I was wondering. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information