Li Series 1 to Series 2 Conversion

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

Anyone ever come across an Li Series 1 that's been converted to a "Series 2" by changing the headset?
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

I've seen a few S1's that have had the S2 headset added :D
kevspeed

MightyGem wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:56 pm Anyone ever come across an Li Series 1 that's been converted to a "Series 2" by changing the headset?
Yep,my mate bought a 'series 2',got it home,took the panels off,and low and behold.....a framebreather :)
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

Yep,my mate bought a 'series 2',got it home,took the panels off,and low and behold.....a framebreather :)
Shouldn't the intake behind the rear seat have been a bit of a give away.

In my case I bought it in 1970, when I was 16. I was told it was a Series 2 and it looked like a Series 2, but I later discovered that it had a Series 1 cylinder and piston. I never gave it much thought at the time, but a few years ago I came across The Lambretta Bible in google books. It stated that Series 2 came into production in October 1959. Well, my original logbook said that it was first registered in April 1959, 6 months before that. So, I sent a query to the club I belong to, the VMSC, and they came back and confirmed that the frame number indicated that it was, in fact, a Series 1 frame.

So it seems that it started life as a Series 1 machine and at some stage was “converted” to Series 2 by changing the headset. It would have been after mid 1960 as it has the oval horn grill and the larger rear light, both of which were introduced then.
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

Converting a series 1 or 2 frame into a series 3 was often done in the late 60's and 70's. I did one for my first combo back in 1970.
kevspeed

MightyGem wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:59 pm
Shouldn't the intake behind the rear seat have been a bit of a give away.
It was his first scooter,plus it had the big flat rear carrier and spare wheel fitted. :roll:
ulyssescale

I own a 1959 Series 2. There appears to be a bunch of small things about the frame and the center stand that made me think at the time of purchase that it was originally a S2. But later I learned that the early S2 were like that.
A chicken ain't nothing but a bird.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information