Thinking Aloud

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Can you bore an original 175 barrel out to 185, and what size would that be? And what piston would you use?
vegansydney

The most obvious choice if you want to keep the TV rod, or use an RD400 one, is the TS185-ER.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Oh, it's one I found whilst poking about in the shed. The only reason I asked is because it's had a seize and there is a deep gouge. I think it's beyond a honing, which is why I asked about boring it out. I did think of the TS185 pistons.
vegansydney

OEM TV pistons have a substantial number of oversizes. I’ve seen Borgo oversizes as large as 63.6mm and have a Hepolite on the shelf that is 63.0mm. IMHO I’d explore this option on an original cylinder before looking into the TS185ER pistons.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

These days, there are more & more manufacturers supplying Lambretta specific oversize pistons.

However, unless there is something 'special' about them (apart from the 'special' high price) then my default choice is to select a piston intended for a decent motorcycle engine producer.

The TS185 is a very good piston & can be had very cheaply (preferably genuine)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information