Ignition systems

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
chippy

With so many different ignitions on go at moment casa, vape, bgm, sil etc any recommendations. A/C running a rb20. All suggestions welcome
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

I’ve had bad experiences with BGM - twice. Cheap Indians ok. Just trying a Scootronicsbut no real experience yet.
All a bit of a lottery I think unless you’re capable of spotting the lemons and correcting yourself.
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

I haven't set up a Vape yet but will soon.

Very few problems with any that you've listed. Most problems I've found were from user error in install due to poor grounds and bad crimps on the connectors.
chippy

Grumpy225 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:18 am I haven't set up a Vape yet but will soon.

Very few problems with any that you've listed. Most problems I've found were from user error in install due to poor grounds and bad crimps on the connectors.
Be interesting to know your opinion on the vape one. The scootronics one is an option as not heard anything negative but at end of day its a lambretta and nothings foolproof :roll:
coaster

Ive had 3 BGM stators and had no issues with any of them. A lot of the moans about them apply to most lambretta ignitions and thats the issue of correct pickup hieight causing missfiring at higher revs. Both BGM and Scootronics supply shims with their stators for this very porpose. Fitting a scootronics external pickup avoids all missalignment problems.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Full DC ignition with external pick up. Far more stable and robust.

Add a kytronik if you want retsrd.
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

chippy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:00 pm
Grumpy225 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:18 am I haven't set up a Vape yet but will soon.

Be interesting to know your opinion on the vape one. The scootronics one is an option as not heard anything negative but at end of day its a lambretta and nothings foolproof :roll:
Will know soon. They look really well made.
firekdp

If I was to be persuaded away from points, I would choose either the Ducati Casatronic or Vape. Both systems have been fitted to other marques for years, so should be reliable, electrically.
Out of the two, the Vape looks more versatile, as it can be run as full DC , AC or a mix of both without any modifications to the stator, just a change of reg/rec.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

firekdp wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:29 pm If I was to be persuaded away from points
What would persuade you?

Taking the whole of the electronic ignition supply industry, going from the cheapest Indian systems up to those costing several hundreds of pounds.

Would it be costs? Doubtful....

Would it be reliability? Worse than points from all of the issues surrounding them....

Would it be for lightness? Not really, as some of us run points with J/Luna flywheels.....

Higher voltage for the electrical supply? Points based systems became available with 12 volt supply in the 60's.....

Easier to fix @ the roadside? Eh? How difficult is it to fix points?

Is it because you want to retain the originality of the scooter? Hardly!

Is it because all your mates have it? (I can't hazard a guess @ that)

Excuse my tongue in cheek sarcasm, but there are good electronic systems & the ones I have mostly been involved with include Ital, Motoplat, PVL, Selettra etc. Oh! And Piaggio.

Of course, the one great advantage of an electronic system is the fact that they can be mapped. But who decides the mapping on any pre-programmed systems?

;)
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

hendy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:54 pm Full DC ignition with external pick up. Far more stable and robust.

Add a kytronik if you want retsrd.
ive got the same set up on my rotax, stator only uses the lighting coils to charge the battery, scootronics dc coil and cdi unit and external pick-up. all runs directly from the battery, have used it 2 years but have had a few problems but that was down to wires breaking and bad connections on the cdi which I hope I have sorted out. it does vibrate at low revs and that's been the cause it think. another option not mentioned yet is variatronic, been out a long time may be worth considering, I have been.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information