Ignition systems

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Rich_T
Dealer
Main scooter: Li Special

Another option is RS125 conversions. This is a DC generator system, from Nippon Denso, using donor CDi from Aprilia RS125 including the ECU. I do a conversion system for GP tapers and all the new big engines exclusively use this process. There is a build manual available, it isn't a conversion for everyone as it requires a new loom and it's pretty involved. On the plus side it has options for every whistle and bell you could every desire TPS, 3D mapping, electronic power jets and power valves, even an ignition gear change cut for clutch-less changes. The components themselves hugely reliable.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

from my experiences getting an ignition system to work with my winter model resto , has been something id rather not go through again and wouldnt wish on others .

i got a ducati /stratos system to begin with but when it came time to send everything over to the restorer i found i had been sent one for an sx/li crank not the GP type i needed. the cdi / reg bracket was also missing and fitting instructions are only in italian .

i then ordered a bgm dc system from a german dealer , who also sent a sx type one ,! sent this back and bought the bgm dc ignition parts from uk suppliers .

restorer spent a lot longer than id have wanted trying to get this to time up as it kept wandering tried new pick ups etc , although found it would time up with an indian ac stator .

ive eventually ended up with a dc stator an reg from Anthony tambs as the bgm wassel failed in less than 300 miles and a bgm flywheel an cdi .

the scooter timed up an the charging sytem now maintains the battery , happy days youd think but alas no . doubts have been placed on this set up as a potential issue causing my GT 240 to keep seizing

the Vape system was touted as a alternative but my experinces with my sip speedo and the Bgm ignition have left me with zero confidence in german electrics that and the vape didnt come with a flywheel holding tool on release also reading the post on mark broadhurst fb page if true puts me off too .

then RLC / casa released the ducati ignition play an play they said , so what could go wrong after all they originally supplied lambretta with ignitions .
well its not quite as plug an play as they make out especially if you have a full dc system myself and several others asked for info on RLCs page but nothing was forthcoming apart from instuctions on how to bolt the kit to the engine .so its still i its box some 8 months after purchase .

thankfully Matt Sutton at i-paint did a great job of the paint an bodywork so at least ive got something to love about the scooter .
i'm thinking theres something about buying a complete engine package like we see on many of the car resto tv shows ala fast an loud , bitchin rides etc .

something where everything is designed to work together and not what i ended up doing buying cylinder kit / gearbox / exhaust / ignition / clutch etc on best info/advice available but untested together so maybe no surprises that ive had issues from day one ive certainly never had the amount of issues with any of the big bikes ive owned last being a 99 model fireblade i had for 11 years only fault in that time was a blown lighting regulator .

i think id get a dealer with a really good reputation for customer service if you have one locally to fit whatever ignition you choose hopefully then if it has issues or causes any they will remedy it under warranty arrangements .
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

@wintermodel65 It’s a Lambretta mate, a lot of the stuff out there is shite. Plug and play doesn’t actually mean plug and play in Lambretta land, what it actually means is I’ll sell you some shite I know won’t fit and leave you to struggle to modify/adapt it to fit sometimes doing more damage in the process. Non of this would happen if it were a Japanese motorcycle people just wouldn’t put up with it full stop! But as its Lambretta you me and all the other sheep are just expected to suck it up and get on with it I’m afraid, so there don’t complain about it get on with it :D
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

One thing to consider if you do a lot of rallies/touring. If you have an all singing/dancing/bells and whistles ignition system......what happens if it does fail somewhere on the continent, miles from home ? with the cost of spares for an expensive system it's unlikely you will be carrying spares. Whereas a cheap 12v dc/ac stator and standard flywheel/cdi means you can carry spares for the most likely parts to fail.

I had a varitronic and to be fair it never let me down. never the less I reverted back to a "standard" 12v dc bgm stator with external pick-up (with original still in place). carrying a spare stator and a cdi covers most of the likely breakdowns and after 10k miles it still hasn't failed.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

But as its Lambretta you me and all the other sheep are just expected to suck it up and get on with it I’m afraid, so there don’t complain about it get on with it :D
[/quote]

i just stated the issues i had when attempting to buy an ignition system,

i have got on with it i dont deal with any of the sh*t weasel companies any more who wont rectify their poor services or products.

mind you list of places to get parts and services from is getting smaller , Time to jump back on big bikes me thinks
eden
Dealer

Vape igntion is good, I'm stocking them now along with the new vape/RS flywheel holding tool made by Granturismo.
https://lambretta-images.com/?s=Vape&post_type=product
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information