Engine Mount Disaster

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Northener
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Had a Terry F**kwit moment this morning, after leaving engine mounts in freezer over night, using correct tooling & a good 10 mins of heat to casing the mount was slightly off as i quickly tried to draw it in - clearly thought it was in line when i started drawing it in, i've scored around 5mm of the casing which i had to carefully remove the small lip this left with a dremel any views on will it be ok or not when i do refit - correctly a new mount, as i say it is about 5mm in - the rest of the casing is ok.

Before anyone asks i've replaced many mounts over the years & stuck with SIL ones from Scooter Restorations due to problems with other 'brands' in the past, this was basically a fault on my part & yes i've called myself all names under sun before anyone says 'owt.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

i never chilled the engine mounts in a freezer, i think it would take too much heat out of the alloy casing as their fitted; aluminium expands more than steel at any given temperature; use room temperature for engine mount and 150c for alloy casing; aligned and pushed in; the cooling effect that the frozen engine mounts have will shrink the alloys expansion; if the case cools below 100c there will be an increasing interference fit making the mounts harder to fit; freezing the mounts may only reduce the steels diameter by 1 thou; the frozen mount inserted into the casing may reduce the alloys expansion by more than 4 thou so I see no advantage in freezing the engine mounts mainly because of the time taken to draw in the engine mounts the cooling of the case is exaggerated; some might dissagree
C’est la vie
Northener
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

I will admit it is the first time I've frozen mounts I normally don't bother so what you state adds up but I have misaligned mounts before but not drawn them in - obviously I believed it to be inline.

It's the damage I did which is my concern to the casing although I'm sure there's many a casing out there the same condition. I've always used a blow torch although the brazing torch that's been on my shopping list for many years I believe would have been beneficial I'm sure due to more direct heat.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Hard to say without seeing it, but personally, I think I'd be ok with just leaving it.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I always freeze the mounts - in some cases with a good heat I have been able to fit them by hand, straight in, and within seconds there was no shifting them, which reinforces the point mUppet makes.

A little scoring won't make much difference.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

rosscla wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:31 am I always freeze the mounts - in some cases with a good heat I have been able to fit them by hand, straight in, and within seconds there was no shifting them, which reinforces the point mUppet makes.

A little scoring won't make much difference.
I agree.
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

Be ok, you should see the state of some casings I’ve swapped mounts on for mates.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information