Adapting a 42mm Clubman exhaust.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Muttley McLadd wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:40 pm Would reducing your exhaust port timing cut the noise enough?
I'll leave the answer to that question to someone with far more technical knowledge than I have! 😁
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

changing the shape of the leading edge of the port might reduce noise levels
C’est la vie
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

The bgm end can is quiet long,when i installed it on my bgm exhaust i shortened the end can a little and cut the tailpipe back (near to bottom fixing) as well and made another bracket to hold the end can more securely.
Martin20

dennis wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:35 pm The bgm end can is quiet long,when i installed it on my bgm exhaust i shortened the end can a little and cut the tailpipe back (near to bottom fixing) as well and made another bracket to hold the end can more securely.
Are you happy with the result Dennis? Worth the cost, which for the full system looks to be around £280?
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

I have found exactly the same problem as you Martin with the 42mm AF Clubman I have fitted to my 185cc Li .
Its just too noisy for neighbours and little country villages .
I bought a 38mm standard clubman and manifold last year but haven't found the time to fit and test it yet.
i am a little worried I might lose some performance which is why I went to all the trouble and expense of fitting the 185cc in the first place. Time will tell I guess but it has to be the cheapest option to try .
Martin20

johnny650 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:22 pm I have found exactly the same problem as you Martin with the 42mm AF Clubman I have fitted to my 185cc Li .
I bought a 38mm standard clubman and manifold last year but haven't found the time to fit and test it yet.
i am a little worried I might lose some performance which is why I went to all the trouble and expense of fitting the 185cc in the first place. Time will tell I guess but it has to be the cheapest option to try .
Hi Johnny,
Have reverted back to a standard exhaust already and I do think I have lost a little, particularly at the top end, which is why I would like to get the clubman back on, but a quieter version! Unfortunately, I do not have the equipment, or skills, but if I had, I would have bought a second hand cheapy 42mm, and an old end can, and cobbled something together! I am sure it could be done quite easily and I am a little surprised no-one seems to have done it already!
YAMLAM

lozmondo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:26 pm Here you go,

torbaylambretta.co.uk/BGM_Clubman_MufflerSilencer/p525714_20243127.aspx
cheers
win or lose have a booze
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

Martin20 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 pm
johnny650 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:22 pm I have found exactly the same problem as you Martin with the 42mm AF Clubman I have fitted to my 185cc Li .
Hi Johnny,
Have reverted back to a standard exhaust already and I do think I have lost a little, particularly at the top end, which is why I would like to get the clubman back on, but a quieter version! Unfortunately, I do not have the equipment, or skills, but if I had, I would have bought a second hand cheapy 42mm, and an old end can, and cobbled something together! I am sure it could be done quite easily and I am a little surprised no-one seems to have done it already!
there was a really interesting extensive testing of exhausts in Scootering last year . I seem to remember that the tester was surprised how well the clubman performed . I expect it would pay to try some experimenting with the inlet and jets maybe even trying a cheapy 24mm KOSO 24MM POWERJET FLAT SLIDE CARB Keihin PWK they are only £25 squids on ebay so worth a punt maybe
Whats the best top speed you can get with each clubman ?
Martin20

"there was a really interesting extensive testing of exhausts in Scootering last year . I seem to remember that the tester was surprised how well the clubman performed . I expect it would pay to try some experimenting with the inlet and jets maybe even trying a cheapy 24mm KOSO 24MM POWERJET FLAT SLIDE CARB Keihin PWK they are only £25 squids on ebay so worth a punt maybe
Whats the best top speed you can get with each clubman ?
Top"

Had 59mph with the 42mm clubman, and been up to 57mph with standard, although a little bit left on both runs as still only done approx 200 miles with new Casa 185 kit, and didn't want to overdo it! Where I did notice the difference though was going up quite a steep local hill. With the 42, it flies up in fourth, with the standard, it was starting to struggle towards the top! Made it, but should really have dropped to 3rd gear!

Quite small margins in the scheme of things, but really want to get the best out of the Casa kit!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information