6 volt points - help please

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

So I want to run my rebuilt S2TV2175 engine 6 volts and points as I’m trying to keep the restoration as original as poss.
I’m at the end of my tether though I’ve rigged the engine up on a test bed so I can check the rectifier works and timing etc. I can’t get a spark at the plug though. Kept it Simple at the moment the green is connected to the coil and the lighting wire taped up. Good earth but I’m getting a spark across the body of the plug when I earth it and not the electrode? Got to be something stupid but I’m lost.
Any ideas?
Cheers steve
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

Remove the plug cap and look for a spark from the end of the ht lead; cut the end of the lead and hold the end of the ht lead about 5mm from the engine while you or someone else kicks the engine if it jumps 5mm and ya spark is blue your good to go
C’est la vie
Shipleystevep

Cheers, I’m getting voltage to the plug but when to try to earth it to check spark there’s nothing at the electrode, I can get the plug body to spark to earth and I’ve felt the jolt myself.
Daggs

First try a new plug ( I doubt you'll be that lucky) :lol: If that doesn't work? Remove the green wire that runs from the stator ignition winding to the coil, from the coil. Hold the wire close to the engine and kick it over. You should see a spark.
Shipleystevep

Thanks really appreciate your suggestions and I will follow them but,,,,,

I don’t understand why with the plug in the cap out of the cylinder if I touch the body of the plug (hex nut bit) I get a right belt. If I hold that near the frame it sparks there, but if I firmly earth it there (like you do) I get no spark at the electrode.
firekdp

As said try a new plug. It sounds like yours has a short between the electrode and casing, or it is tracking down the inside of the plug cap.
Shipleystevep

Was tracking down the inside of the old plug cap, tried a new one and it’s ok.

Many thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information