Cheap 5/6 plate clutch

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I'm going to build a simple low power motor and want a 6 plate clutch so that I can use very light springs.

The plan was to use a stratos spider but there are lots of early failures so that's out the question. MB look good but are very expensive.

There are cheap Indian ones for under £20 which are basically the same as original but deeper.

Does anyone know if they cause the top plate to foul the kickstart shaft or need a case packer?

Or indeed any other issues with them?
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Reed speed does 5plate that fits in original basket for about £35 and a very good and Martin at justlambretta does a lovely 5plate

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

hendy

garry inglis wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:16 am Reed speed does 5plate that fits in original basket for about £35 and a very good and Martin at justlambretta does a lovely 5plate

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thanks Garry, I've used a few 5 plate clutches like that using thinner steels but they have a tendency to warp. If I use the deeper spider I could stick with original 1.5mm.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Interesting. I’ve used the Readspeed but warped a couple of steels and ended up with bent springs, then went on to use the Newfren version but with the MB springs, this up until recently has proven to work well and no doubt both would be fine on a lesser powered engine, but I noticed last time I rode it the clutch would slip when it climbed on the pipe so now need another option without spending a shed load of cash.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

I think you will need a 10mm packer and extended basket and crownwheel to use thick plates and get 6 in, ive done similar for a 7 plate and added a cush drive as well, I extended the crownwheel by welding 2 together but had to buy an extended spider which I beefed up by adding some welding to improve the strength. plus the kickstart needs extending and the clutch bush.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

With any clutch requiring additional plates, there are compromises if attempting to use standard components & five is the greatest practicable maximum. Most users will require the strongest spring set that will fit, but they shouldn't be allowed to get coilbound & although that may be obvious, there are springs available that will work well.

I am currently rebuilding a TS engine for a lad that doesn't mollycoddle his machine that I supplied a five plater some time ago. Despite the use of the thin CamLam frictions plates & steels, it is still serviceable.

It is a pity that the ScootRS centre is no longer available, as I have their six plater in a torquey Rapido. The centre spider allows for their six plates plus sufficient operating clearance, all without requiring a crankcase cover packer, though I use the thick gaskets available.When I first fitted it, though, it had a tendency to slip, but a change of oil (Holty knows what I now use :( ) cured that.

A word of warning, though. I have yet to happen across any non OEM inner components that do not bend. The pressure plate & spider both seem to deform, of the Indian parts that I have seen.

Anyway, with my own train of thought activated via this Post, I wondered had anybody created their own, thinner steels? If it were viable, by utilising thick steels, if held on the inside bore on a lathe, they could be skimmed down, but only in the friction area, thus leaving the thicker centre with more surface area which would not have the tendency to cut into the spider....... :idea:
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Readspeed 100%. Handles the 21bhp my Imola made no problem.
reusendrescher

@10 inch Terror: Is that you, Arschbrand?
hendy

Yes, I understand that I can put 17bhp through a 4 plate easily but I'm trying to make a very light clutch, very reliable for low money.

If those spiders fit under a standard side case without packers, I can do this.

Just wondered if anyone had tried one.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

ive got a casa lightweight crownwheel , surflex 5 plate and camlam easy feel springs, bell an spider standard type seems to handle my GT 240 . think it worked out cheaper than most . doesnt feel too heavy but im going to get my GT sidecase converted by chiselspeed so feel of clutch is lighter still .

i went for the casa crownwheel so could use roller bearings instead of bush but the LI type spiders dont sit far enough through withouth the crownwheel being further machined so used GP type and bush after all .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information