Mugello 240 ??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

coaster wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:53 am
wintermod65 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:08 pm
i'm still not convinced the kit can pull the SX/TV box while im using the bgm clubman v4 , in another post i asked about gearbox choices for this kit most seemed to comeback say the were using LI 150 which surprised me as i was told 4.8:1 sx200 or gp200 using different clutch an front sprocket
I am also using a BGM exhaust (Mk3) scootronics stator and Li150 bow with 17/46 sprockets giving 4.8 final ratio although I think it would pull 4.6 tbh.

I recent;ly fitted an egt to the BGM manifold and have noticed allarmingly high temps (700 degrees :o ) but at the same time the cht has been normal so I figure it MIGHT be due to the BGM tail pipe being on the small side. EGTs are fickle though so I'm not worrying about that reading tgh 8-)
Hi Colin, Li150 17/46 gives 4.6 doesn't it? That's what I am running with my GT200 with BGM and that pulls it fine
Cav
Main scooter: SX 225

wintermod65 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:29 pm
paul d wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:23 pm I have no knowledge of mugellos but I do run a gt240 on a gt casing. Did you have your seizure problems while running in? I’ve 10000 ish miles on mine and it’s been great but without a temp guage I’d have blown it sky high during the break in miles! For the first 500 odd miles it ran very hot when trundling along in 4th below 50mph. A drop to third gear always dropped the temp. When it reached 145-150 I’d gear up again, up to 195c and I’d drop to third again. With the miles the general running temperatures dropped. Difficult on the nerves revving a fresh engine but it worked. Hope this gives some hope.
hi .
yes i did have seize probs running in first one was after about a mile trundling at 30 mph then periodically if running about 45mph then encountered a hill , or any slight gradient
mine ran about 148 c according to sip speedo temp probe under sparkplug . plug was black so running rich somewhere in range changed up to a 8 as had a 7 in from build
it was worse on way home from brighton as almost 1000 miles done but was still hot into evening crawled back at 40 mph slip streaming our micro caravan after heat seizure nr gatwick agree nervous bloody wreck when got home speedo coming on an off didnt help ( ditched it in favour of smiths conversion now )as was glued to the temp otherwise , its now back over scooter shop who fitted the kit . but just wanted a plan "B" if it was the kit at fault
Don't want to hi jack the post, but can you give me any info on the Smiths speedo conversion. I've got a remade Smiths but cant get it re calibrated for the small wheels. Di you get hold of one already calibrated (where from) or did you have it re calibrated (who by). Thanks. Cav
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

Reading Coaster’s reply earlier in this thread reminded me of the nightmare of fitting the temp ring! I had mine fitted under the head nut furthest from the fan. Easyish when the engine was on the bench. Nightmare when I took the head off for a decoke! Couldn’t refit and had to file it bigger to fit over the spark plug. I use a 9 plug, li150 box 17x46 with a pm exhaust. Over 60 mph it’ll pull up a mountain but at 55mph, steep hills require third gear to accelerate. 17x47 might have been a better choice for the pipe.
I’ve no knowledge of the smiths speedo but they do look good!
coaster

Burnside wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:10 pm
coaster wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:53 am
wintermod65 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:08 pm
Hi Colin, Li150 17/46 gives 4.6 doesn't it? That's what I am running with my GT200 with BGM and that pulls it fine
I knew I should have checked the ratio chart before posting that :oops:
Cav
Main scooter: SX 225

paul d wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:31 am Reading Coaster’s reply earlier in this thread reminded me of the nightmare of fitting the temp ring! I had mine fitted under the head nut furthest from the fan. Easyish when the engine was on the bench. Nightmare when I took the head off for a decoke! Couldn’t refit and had to file it bigger to fit over the spark plug. I use a 9 plug, li150 box 17x46 with a pm exhaust. Over 60 mph it’ll pull up a mountain but at 55mph, steep hills require third gear to accelerate. 17x47 might have been a better choice for the pipe.
I’ve no knowledge of the smiths speedo but they do look good!
Thanks Paul, I think it was Wintermod's reply that had the Smiths reference: ( ditched it in favour of smiths conversion now ). Might ditch the Smiths attempt its in the too hard box, and go for something different
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

For those that may be unaware, a small tailpipe on an exhaust is an easy way to increase the torque of an engine, but @ a cost.

Particularly on a 200cc plus engine, with any guts, I would always use a minimum of one inch (25 mm) bore bleed to an exhaust for peace of mind & reliability.

Despite such a large tailpipe on my own (non reed) Rapido 71 x 61 mm, it easily pulls TV200 equivalent top, but I do believe nowadays in filtration to the inlet, as this actually saves fuel as well as ensuring that jetting is more stable.

However, I have always been certain not to plod along in higher gears until an engine is run in, to ensure what fan cooling there is, is @ an optimum.

It is a common 'schoolboy/girl' error to nurse a Lambretta engine @ low revs after a rebuild & where a lot of problems arise, IMHO. That & other misconceptions such as adding extra oil...... :?
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

ive contacted rich taylor re the early batch of gt 240s with tight bores hes willing to check my cylinder to see if in spec . so another box can be ticked off the potential causes .

rich taylors gt240 demonstrator that i rode over at disco dezs , has a bgm v4 clubman fitted this was on scooter when scooter nova test rode it an wrote a feature issue 3 i think . although mine has been ceramic coated . not sure if that would make a difference to the seizure issue .

but thanks for all comments ride safe an have a good new year hopefully 2020 will see a positive resolution to the issue
eden
Dealer

Interesting thread.
I have no idea who built and set up this GT240 but with out a doubt if your having so many problems it will be due to bad build set up or both.
This all sound svery much like a guy who contacted me mud last year who had a 240 built 18 months previously which had given him nothing but trouble. After bringing it to me for me to build and set up he has fallen back in love with his scooter and the engine, doing many trouble free miles since.
It's easy for people to f@@k up a build.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

eden wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:34 am Interesting thread.
I have no idea who built and set up this GT240 but with out a doubt if your having so many problems it will be due to bad build set up or both.
This all sound svery much like a guy who contacted me mud last year who had a 240 built 18 months previously which had given him nothing but trouble. After bringing it to me for me to build and set up he has fallen back in love with his scooter and the engine, doing many trouble free miles since.
It's easy for people to f@@k up a build.
ive sent you a pm re engine builder , only fair they get chance to see what problem might be its not about slagging anyone off either the kit or restorer its just about getting the scooter working well, an minimising chance of causing serious damage to engine an my wallet !! , all help gratefully received especially from yourself as im guessing theres not too many about that have your level of experience with the gt products
thanks ian
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information