Clubman on GT186 - Ex Box?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

In which case...

Merry Christmas!
Hughieboy
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S2 GT186

Ha ha! Thank you! And to you :D
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

Blimey! I’m no expert, hence asking advice on here but that’s not the first time I’ve heard about over heating issues with the BGM pipes, maybe that’s the cause of your seizures?

if BGm pipes cause seizures, its a bit of a mystery why Rich Taylor who makes the GT kits has one on the GT240 demostrator thats over at discodezs , i rode this scooter and wanted mine set up similarly , but found out later his had different gearbox , also it was on the scooter when it was featured in scooter nova prob issue 2 0r 3 i think and no concerns reported then
eden
Dealer

wintermod65 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:33 pm i have just done running in mileage on my GT 240 with Gt Casings and BGM v4 clubman(had mine ceramic coated ) , so about a 1000 miles cant be sure exactly as sip speedo cuts out but thats another story!,
ive had seizure issues with the kit , not at top end but when engine tries to pull 4th gear round 45-50mph , hills especially although not too many big ones in suffolk, have caused the issue to be highlighted , ive been running an Sx200/tv 175 gearing as was recommended 4.8.1 ratio but running in with it has been an experience i wouldnt want to go through again . when the Sip speedo came on i noticed temp go up around 30 C when got to hill or trying to pull 4th . i havent used the scooter since coming home from Mersea island as dont want an expensive blow up . hoping to take the scooter back to the Restorer to find out the cause next week . but confidence in the kit has taken a nose dive.
ive had people say its the ignition/ Carb/ Exhaust thats the problem although none have seen the scooter,

engine was built using new components through out apart from 2 gearbox cogs and Xmas tree and put together by a restorer experienced with GT products.
The BGM V4 is no where near as good as the V3, I had a customer who I built a GT200 for using the BGM V3, the V3 fell to bits about a year later so he brought a V4.
He then had trouble getting upto speed so he came to mine with the scooter for me to ride to try and diagnose the problem. As I had a V3 in my workshop.I decided to do back to back runs with both the V4 and V3 fitted, using my GPS to get a comparison. On the same stretch of road that is just under 1.5 miles long the V4 restricted the speed it reached by 14 mph compared to the V3, that is a hell of a lot.
Since then he has fitted the Ron Moss xbox and it performs as well if not better than the BGM V3 and miles better than the BGM V4. Since then I've built the same customer a GT240 using the Ron Moss xbox which also runs fine.
(The customer doesnt like the look of expansion pipes)

Last Xmas Patch from scooter surgery phoned me as he was up visiting relatives near me asking if I could lend him some ignition parts as his scooter which he rode up from London on was running shite on the way up to Birmingham. He came round with the scooter and straight away I knew his problems were do to the BGM V4 he had on it, I fitted him an old V3 I had tucked away in the workshop which transformed his engine, he rode back to London with out any issue and posted the exhaust back to me.
I have no idea if BGM had an issue with 1 batch or if all of the V4's are the same, I fit the Ron Moss box pipe now if the customer wants a box pipe.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

eden wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:44 pm
wintermod65 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:33 pm i have just done running in mileage on my GT 240 with Gt Casings and BGM v4 clubman(had mine ceramic coated ) , so about a 1000 miles cant be sure exactly as sip speedo cuts out but thats another story!,
ive had seizure issues with the kit , not at top end but when engine tries to pull 4th gear round 45-50mph , hills especially although not too many big ones in suffolk, have caused the issue to be highlighted , ive been running an Sx200/tv 175 gearing as was recommended 4.8.1 ratio but running in with it has been an experience i wouldnt want to go through again . when the Sip speedo came on i noticed temp go up around 30 C when got to hill or trying to pull 4th . i havent used the scooter since coming home from Mersea island as dont want an expensive blow up . hoping to take the scooter back to the Restorer to find out the cause next week . but confidence in the kit has taken a nose dive.
ive had people say its the ignition/ Carb/ Exhaust thats the problem although none have seen the scooter,

engine was built using new components through out apart from 2 gearbox cogs and Xmas tree and put together by a restorer experienced with GT products.
The BGM V4 is no where near as good as the V3, I had a customer who I built a GT200 for using the BGM V3, the V3 fell to bits about a year later so he brought a V4.
He then had trouble getting upto speed so he came to mine with the scooter for me to ride to try and diagnose the problem. As I had a V3 in my workshop.I decided to do back to back runs with both the V4 and V3 fitted, using my GPS to get a comparison. On the same stretch of road that is just under 1.5 miles long the V4 restricted the speed it reached by 14 mph compared to the V3, that is a hell of a lot.
Since then he has fitted the Ron Moss xbox and it performs as well if not better than the BGM V3 and miles better than the BGM V4. Since then I've built the same customer a GT240 using the Ron Moss xbox which also runs fine.

Last Xmas Patch from scooter surgery phoned me as he was up visiting relatives near me asking if I could lend him some ignition parts as his scooter which he rode up from London on was running shite on the way up to Birmingham. He came round with the scooter and straight away I knew his problems were do to the BGM V4 he had on it, I fitted him an old V3 I had tucked away in the workshop which transformed his engine, he rode back to London with out any issue and posted the exhaust back to me.
I have no idea if BGM had an issue with 1 batch or if all of the V4's are the same, I fit the Ron Moss box pipe now if the customer wants a box pipe.
I wonder how the AF big bore clubman with the large diameter tail pipe perform against the BGM and Ron Moss? Any good?
eden
Dealer

Not compared so no idea.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Apparently, and I only heard this as say-so, there is an additional baffle in the v4.

Could be total b@11@x though.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Isn't it amazing what difference a pipe can make. Sometimes it only takes a 500rpm extension to the pipe's rev range to allow it to where the motor works in harmony with the porting or gearing, transforming performance.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

Scooterdude wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:34 pm
eden wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:44 pm

I wonder how the AF big bore clubman with the large diameter tail pipe perform against the BGM and Ron Moss? Any good?
didnt realise there was that much difference between the v3 and v4 i thought the improvements were to the fixings being brazed not welded to stop them falling apart . rode the 240 demonstrator over at Dez's thought that had one on so went for same as mines not the style for an expansion type exhaust .
swissdean
Main scooter: Li185, series 3

Hugh, I’m having exactly the same dilemma as you, I have just ordered an ex box.. how did you find it? Happy?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information