GT186 manifold - carb fouling engine mount

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

storkfoot wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:45 pm
vegansydney wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:03 pm
storkfoot wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:41 pm I love the TM24, as it is such a responsive little carb, and wanted it on the GT186.

I have another GT186 with 115 conrod and 8mm packer. Does anyone think this would allow it to clear the mount?
I agree. It's a fantastic little carb, and far superior to the PHBL. An 8mm packer might give it sufficient room. Some quick, 'back of napkin' calculations suggest the carb needs to move at least ~6.5mm forward to clear the mount.
Cheers for that, VS. I wasn’t planning on using an RD400 Conrod on this build and I may well go for a cut and weld resolution to the problem but 6.5mm isn’t too far out.

There’s always offset mounts, I suppose, but my previous attempt with them wasn’t entirely successful. That said , don’t Rimini do a fixed offset set up?
Offset mounts would only affect clearance to the frame, not the problem in this case, but I'm sure you realised that :D
vegansydney

A quick update:

In order to fit a Mikuni TM24 I cut the 'upswept' end off a 30mm GT manifold and rotated it approximately 90 degrees so it pointed forward. The end was then cut flush. After measuring clearance more times than I care to count, a laser cut flange, that I specifically designed to fit a BGM flange manifold rubber was welded on.

Why? I wanted to run a Mikuni TM24 with the option of using an airbox. I figure I was going to modify it, I would convert it to the superior flange type mount.

This would theoretically work with a range of carbs (i.e. PWK28, Polini 24 - 28, VHST24-26, VHSH30, TM28, TMX30) via an airbox by swapping the rubber and using the BGM 'armadillo' airhoses.

ImageImage
kejj

No one ever tried the Keihin Pwk28?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information