BGM front dampers, too short....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
neily03
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125

Norrie Bodge wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:13 pm
neily03 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:38 pm Thanks guys, I really don't want to move the brackets and have to strip down and repaint the forks.

The bracket are welded just at the bottom of the spot weld on the fork yes but like I said in my first post according Sticky's book (and anything I can find on the internet) they are positioned correctly when measured from the bottom at 24cm..... I hate the look of the clamp on upper brackets so I guess my best option is try and find longer dampers

I had s set of forks that where brackets where longer dampers where needed ...
These what I used with gaiters over them
https://www.thescooterrepublic.co.uk/la ... steel-p111
Thanks, I'll have a look at those.
Cav
Main scooter: SX 225

Those brackets don't look right. Maybe its the pics but the alignment seems wrong and the stand off (outboard of the fork) seems shallow. Take a look at this pic and you'll see what I mean

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... 3,4,6,8,10
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I've recently had some mounts welded onto 150 forks and the quoted measurement has put them slightly too high, as per your photo. I've got standard S3 shocks and they'll open up long enough to fit but you can see that they're open slightly too far because of a pressing/ring that is in clear sight, which would be covered if the shock was closed up slightly.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

neily03 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:03 am
paul213 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:36 pm You could check you have the fat lower bump stop if its not new ,there are different sizes about ,or not 100% ideal but a thin packer between the fork and bump stop would move the link up relative to damper bracket you might need slightly longer bolts.
Yes I have brand new thick bump stop. Don't really want to add a packer as that will push the link up and lower the whole front end...
Not really when you are riding, the bumpstop should only come into play when there is no weight on the scooter i.e. on the stand. It might be enough to get the shockabsorber fitted and make no difference to the ride. By the way you are not alone, there is a post on Facebook (Lambretta Rebuild page). Apparently this only happened after fitting MB links and he has exactly the same problem as you.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

neily03

I've ordered a set of standard style dampers to try and see what they're like
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I've got a set of thesehttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAMBRETTA-COMPLETE-E ... 9Y2C0Ubeen on for over 2 years,no complaints as yet.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

wrong page
neily03

Returned the BGM ones and got some original style ones in chrome and they fit perfectly. After speaking to a few suppliers/dealers and getting them them measure the dampers eye to eye the original style type all come in at 245mm when fully extended whereas the BGM ones are 235mm....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information