BGM front dampers, too short....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
neily03
registered user
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:51 am
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125
Contact:

Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:57 am

Hi all,

Just went to fit a pair of BGM adjust able front dampers yesterday and found them to be too short. My top damper mounts were fitted at Mike Pheonix scooter and are 24cm from the bottom as measured according to Sticky's manual which states they should be 23.5 - 24.5cm. I've made sure the dampers are fully extended too. I am using MB's drum link with damper mounts but I'd expect them to be the same as OE?

ImageIMG_1150 by Neil Schofield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1152 by Neil Schofield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1153 by Neil Schofield, on Flickr

Anyone else ran into problems like this? Moving the top mounts really isn't an option now....

Daggs
registered user
Posts: 966
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:23 pm
Location: Addington Kent
Contact:

Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:37 pm

The photo showing your measurement isn't clear, but I think you've fixed the top brackets too high. They are usually 10-12mm below the spot weld that holds the internal stop washer. Not that telling you this helps your predicament :)
Your choices are;
To have the brackets repositioned and destroy your paintwork.
Buy different dampers with a longer body.
Or design a bracket that drops the top fixing of the damper by enough to use the dampers you have.
Or possibly buy the clamp on type top bracket.

chippy
registered user
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:19 pm
Location: YORKSHIRE
Contact:

Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:57 pm

Daggs wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:37 pm
The photo showing your measurement isn't clear, but I think you've fixed the top brackets too high. They are usually 10-12mm below the spot weld that holds the internal stop washer. Not that telling you this helps your predicament :)
Your choices are;
To have the brackets repositioned and destroy your paintwork.
Buy different dampers with a longer body.
Or design a bracket that drops the top fixing of the damper by enough to use the dampers you have.
Or possibly buy the clamp on type top bracket.
Agree with Daggs, I have had the bgm ones and they were tight but not as much as yours. I would bite the bullet and have the brackets removed and replaced lower. Obviously forks would need respray but looking at the pictures I think you would be happier doing that way

User avatar
Doom Patrol
registered user
Posts: 2324
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:03 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta GP 150 going on 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning
Contact:

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Cut the top brackets off and replace with the clamp on BGM brackets. You can position them where you want then.

neily03
registered user
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:51 am
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125
Contact:

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Thanks guys, I really don't want to move the brackets and have to strip down and repaint the forks.

The bracket are welded just at the bottom of the spot weld on the fork yes but like I said in my first post according Sticky's book (and anything I can find on the internet) they are positioned correctly when measured from the bottom at 24cm..... I hate the look of the clamp on upper brackets so I guess my best option is try and find longer dampers

paul213
registered user
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:22 am
Contact:

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:36 pm

You could check you have the fat lower bump stop if its not new ,there are different sizes about ,or not 100% ideal but a thin packer between the fork and bump stop would move the link up relative to damper bracket you might need slightly longer bolts.

fritz
registered user
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 10:08 pm
Location: Ramsgate
Contact:

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Have you tried another make of shock/damper?
Are you sure its not the lincs that are the problem rather than top mounts?
Steve

Norrie Bodge
registered user
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:49 am
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230
Contact:

Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:13 pm

neily03 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:38 pm
Thanks guys, I really don't want to move the brackets and have to strip down and repaint the forks.

The bracket are welded just at the bottom of the spot weld on the fork yes but like I said in my first post according Sticky's book (and anything I can find on the internet) they are positioned correctly when measured from the bottom at 24cm..... I hate the look of the clamp on upper brackets so I guess my best option is try and find longer dampers

I had s set of forks that where brackets where longer dampers where needed ...
These what I used with gaiters over them
https://www.thescooterrepublic.co.uk/la ... steel-p111

neily03
registered user
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:51 am
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125
Contact:

Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:03 am

paul213 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:36 pm
You could check you have the fat lower bump stop if its not new ,there are different sizes about ,or not 100% ideal but a thin packer between the fork and bump stop would move the link up relative to damper bracket you might need slightly longer bolts.
Yes I have brand new thick bump stop. Don't really want to add a packer as that will push the link up and lower the whole front end...

neily03
registered user
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:51 am
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125
Contact:

Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:04 am

fritz wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:45 pm
Have you tried another make of shock/damper?
Are you sure its not the lincs that are the problem rather than top mounts?
Steve
Not yet no.
I don't know for sure but I don't have any other links to compare them to.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests