Varitronic TV to GP

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Hughieboy
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S2 GT186

I’m switching out my crank soon to a GP taper one from the current TV/Li one that I currently have. I have a Varitronic ignition and someone said they thought I would have to change the stator as well as the flywheel.... Can anyone confirm or disagree with this?

I realised I would have to change the flywheel but assumed the rest of it would be the same..... :?:
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

the stator will fit in a GP variatronic flywheel no worries
C’est la vie
Hughieboy

Thank you for confirming :D
dragoonpvw
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

did you ever get it running how you wanted it to. I was just wondering why you were changing cranks. Did the crank turn out to be the problem. I know the gp crank is stronger, and unless I wanted to stay stock for historical reasons, I would surely convert to a gp when it was time to replace the crank. But unless I was slapping in some pretty serious power, I don't know if Id switch out a perfectly good crank on a 186. Just wondering.
Hughieboy

dragoonpvw wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:58 pm did you ever get it running how you wanted it to. I was just wondering why you were changing cranks. Did the crank turn out to be the problem. I know the gp crank is stronger, and unless I wanted to stay stock for historical reasons, I would surely convert to a gp when it was time to replace the crank. But unless I was slapping in some pretty serious power, I don't know if Id switch out a perfectly good crank on a 186. Just wondering.
Thanks for asking,

It’s running as well as I can get it and really needs to go on a dyno. There are a couple of reasons for thinking of changing the crank but the main reason is me probably just being paranoid that the current TV175 arrangement will let me down. I know it was built professionally but it was several years ago and I would be gutted if it let go and damaged anything else after spending a lot of time and money on the rest of the engine. Secondly, due to the 116mm conrod, I am running about 8mm of base packers and although it runs well enough, I’m no expert on port timings and things and so can’t be sure it’s optimum. It also means fitting exhausts is a pain in the butt because everything’s a bit further forward than it should be and it was a stretch to get the head cowling on.
And then I’m thinking, if I were to stick a 60/110 crank in it, poss a GT one also, it would have a bit more grunt from what I read.
I suppose I feel I’m cutting corners and it’s bugging me.... :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information