Replace gp floor strut

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

I've an Italian gp I am doing a restoration on basically upgrade all running gear and fit 12v loom and cables the only major issue is the stand brackets are welded to the strut and is bent all shapes so here's my way off fitting a new strut from torbay lambretta it's a razor cut exact copy of original once I fit the two braces I've tac welded the new strut in position then did a dry fit of legsheilds and back boards and it fit lovely all holes dead centre so I've then took of boards and legsheilds and fully welded the strut in place and the last picture shows the strut and stand I've took offImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

neily03
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125

Nice work there!
MrMac
Main scooter: 1961 Series 1/2

Hello mate - I'm restoring a S2 and had a new main crossmember welded on by a dealer on a jig. There's quite a gap around the bottom of the frame tube and its only welded on the flat bits - is yours the same?

It lines up with everything else (which is original) but not my new side panels. Sticky says it's not a bad idea to weld them all the way round the bottom of the frame tube, but I'd have to cut a bit of steel to fill the gap cos it's verging on 10mm.

Any ideas?
Lloydie
garry inglis

That is big mines about 3/4mm gap round the tube when you say big were you getting the frame checked as well

garry inglis

I ment jig

garry inglis

I would make a plate about 4"long cut to shape the tube and weld it on use a bit of cardboard as template that would fill the hole and add strength it won't interfere with exhaust

tavspeed

ive done a couple of these,you need to clamp a long straight edge between the front leg shield support and the rear runner board support and your new support is clamped to the angle,the new support needed grinding to get a good fit ,your gap does look big,also if you have side panels you need to fit them with the rubbers to see what the gap is between the bottom of panels and the rear footboards before welding,last one i did,the exhaust was a bgm clubman and was literally touching the the legshield cross member support so we had to bend it up slightly to stop it hitting,this then made the rear runner board very close to the bottom of the loop under the toolbox,oh the joy's of lambretta's
garry inglis

I've primerd the strut and got some synthetic paint matched just to protect the tube and new strut as I'm putting all the original parts back onImageImageImage

garry inglis

On the road now ImageImage

garry inglis

Engine Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information