Fascinating article on standard exhaust performance

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

I haven't bought Scootering for many months but today I came across their website and discovered this fascinating article about Clubman exhaust testing..

I bet you would be as stunned as I was to learn that a standard GP exhaust can out perform every other exhaust system tested up to 5000rpm !

yes I know that using bold is a bit like shouting but this was a complete revelation to me

I don't know about you but I am thoroughly fed up with my noisy 42mm Clubman exhaust and I have been seriously regreting fitting it for some time now
. Sure I get good performance but the noise is so bad that when I ride through villages people turn round and glower at me as I ride past. Old ladies pick up their dogs and back into peoples gardens ...... :o

I picked up a standard exhaust at the beginning of the year fully intending to test it against the Clubman at some point but never got around to it. I think now I'll make some time to swap them over and see the results.
https://www.scootering.com/scootering-c ... st-part-4/
scooterslag

Yep definitely something to be said for a standard pipe, been using them for years and like the low down tractability you get from the power delivery . Clubmans are ok , you get a nice over rev with some of them but you lose a bit on the bottom and mid-range. Love the sound of the standard buzz box as well ;-)
The mack daddy on the left!
vegansydney

By 'standard' do you mean a GP/dl exhaust without the mushroom baffle, as referenced in the article? Not all exhausts are created equal, and there are major differences throughout Innocenti production. For example, even a Series 2 TV exhaust is different to a Series 2 LI exhaust.

To confuse issues further, many manufacturers make a generic 'Series 2' exhaust, or more recently, Series 3 'clover' exhausts without the mushroom baffle.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

johnny650 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:07 pm I haven't bought Scootering for many months but today I came across their website and discovered this fascinating article about Clubman exhaust testing..

I
I don't know about you but I am thoroughly fed up with my noisy 42mm Clubman exhaust and I have been seriously regreting fitting it for some time now
. Sure I get good performance but the noise is so bad that when I ride through villages people turn round and glower at me as I ride past. Old ladies pick up their dogs and back into peoples gardens ...... :o

Exactly the same here Johnny. Been looking for ages for something quieter, done loads of reading, listened to numerous sound clips on YouTube, and have decided to go back to standard, so just ordered a 'GP' one, made by Scootopia'. Going to take scoot out, hopefully this week, and give it some beans and note performance in each gear with the AFClubman on, then will repeat with new standard one. Will report back in due course for anyone who might be interested.
johnny650

vegansydney wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:51 pm By 'standard' do you mean a GP/dl exhaust without the mushroom baffle, as referenced in the article? Not all exhausts are created equal, and there are major differences throughout Innocenti production. For example, even a Series 2 TV exhaust is different to a Series 2 LI exhaust.

To confuse issues further, many manufacturers make a generic 'Series 2' exhaust, or more recently, Series 3 'clover' exhausts without the mushroom baffle.
if you read the article you'll see that its a GP standard series 3 exhaust, nothing like the series 1 & 2 exhausts that you show. ;)
johnny650

Martin20 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:09 pm

Exactly the same here Johnny. Been looking for ages for something quieter, done loads of reading, listened to numerous sound clips on YouTube, and have decided to go back to standard, so just ordered a 'GP' one, made by Scootopia'. Going to take scoot out, hopefully this week, and give it some beans and note performance in each gear with the AFClubman on, then will repeat with new standard one. Will report back in due course for anyone who might be interested.
Hi Martin.. ah ha !... looks like you will beat me to it. ;)

I have plenty of video of the current A F Rayspeed 42mm clubman so I'll take a contrasting video of the standard exhaust to compare. Hope I don't lose any performance with the smaller exhaust.

Have you taken any video of your scoot yet ? I'd like to see it if you have. You can use a basic point n shoot camera in video mode
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I really rate the standard exhaust. There's just something about them. They just make your scooter so much more flexible. They are quieter and more manageable and just make you scooter so much nicer to ride. Innocenti really had it worked out if you ask me. But perhaps the best thing about them is that they probably go as well as a clubman. Really, you get a good standard exhaust and you begin to wonder why you bothered with a clubman.
Muttley McLadd

How much do they throttle any engine at above 5000 revs though?
Presumably if you do all your riding below 50mph, it'd be fine. But who does that?
CakeAndArseParty
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Muttley McLadd wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:29 am How much do they throttle any engine at above 5000 revs though?
Presumably if you do all your riding below 50mph, it'd be fine. But who does that?
Maybe, but how much would you notice that in practice? It depends on your gearing for one thing. The thing is you've got to go over 5000 to get some pipes to work. So it's where you want your rev range. A standard pipe will work from the start, until it doesn't, but an expansion won't even start and its hard work staying in the power.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

As always, it's horses for courses... and the good news is, there is literally a pipe for everyone. No matter what YOU want from YOUR scooter, there is probably a pipe which achieves it (within reason). From sub-5k 'flexible' pipes, right up to 'red line screamers'...

:)
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information