Large vs small silent blocks

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Looking to replace my 50 year old engine mounts on my Li175. I mentioned doing this to a scooter mechanic and he recommended using the small ones rather than the big ones.

Replacing small ones with small ones is easier and I don't have to buy as many parts, but does anyone have any thoughts?

I've never ridden anyone else scooter, so I've no idea how much they are meant to vibrate. Mine's quite bad, but it's been like that since I got it 30 years ago so I'm used to it...
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

large reduces vibration and makes for a smoother ride, just get some good ones. I like the Indian ones AF sell
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Innocenti GP150's had large ones fitted as standard. Well, mine did!

Small mounts do improve handling, but there is a trade-off with vibration. You wouldn't want even a race 200 'plus' to have small (solid) mounts fitted, not even for a few laps! Not unless you are the type that likes sitting on a washing machine during the 'spin' cycle ;)

The best that I have ever used were the original OEM Indian large engine mounts, but those that still have them, will not want to part with them. (They were as per the normal Innocenti design, but with rubber mounded into the normal void where the mount fits into the engine block)

Some people fill that gap with silicone sealant, but the ones I've seen are never concentric! :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information