Top chain guide damage

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Northener
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Found bits of metal when changing gear oil & sought to investigate, found my top chain guide to be damaged (on a bog standard GP150), it was originally set as per factory at 12mm play, it was after I set to 6mm play that the front of it had the chain cut into it about 10mm.

Any ideas on what caused this?

I then reset to 12mm after changing the guide - obviously, on taking sidecasing off again there is once again but this time very slight wear as though cutting in again.

I have now replaced both guides with NOS Innocenti ones, set at 12mm play.
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

Did you turn the engine over and check the play in several places? One of the sprockets may not be true so the chain is tightening in one place.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Did you use the standard GP chain (Indian Rolon)because they're renown for shedding rollers and they could catch on your top chain guide.
Northener

Thanks for replies, it's Italian & has Regina chain (although will double check at weekend). When I first got it I looked it over & set the play to 6mm as modern thinking although it was set at 12mm - it's all very much as it was when it checked the factory.

I assumed me setting it to 6mm was the original problem but I see some slight wear into metal again after resetting to 12mm.

Would you believe one of the sprockets to be 'warped' Tractorman or even clutch needs aligning??
Warkton Tornado No.1

There's certain things that I do as a matter of course, regardless of the state of tune, & besides never, ever allowing Rolon chain anywhere near a Lambretta, I would never use the standard chain tensioners again.

They really are not up to the job.

I must have dozens of standard tensioners that will never get used, but I keep them, along with all the air filter boxes with their restrictive hoses, for when they become 'collectible'.......... :lol:
Mrnice71
Main scooter: Lambretta series 3

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:11 pm There's certain things that I do as a matter of course, regardless of the state of tune, & besides never, ever allowing Rolon chain anywhere near a Lambretta, I would never use the standard chain tensioners again.

They really are not up to the job.

I must have dozens of standard tensioners that will never get used, but I keep them, along with all the air filter boxes with their restrictive hoses, for when they become 'collectible'.......... :lol:
l agree never use standard tensioners , get yourself an MB one , some engine builders even leave the bottom tensioner out
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information