Polini D.30 flat slide Racing 30mm carburettor

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Mrnice71
Main scooter: Lambretta series 3

Hi guys , any of you tried or bought the above carb ?
Agent Buchwald

Hello, i have just put one on, it works but needs jetting properly when i've got an air/fuel meter sorted.
I'm trying to use a filter but may end up ditching it.
First impressions are good though and in theory this design of carb should be ideal.
I did have a bgm carb previously but that just would not work, even with all the presecribed mods, the polini seems better made, up there in quality with a genuine keihin.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

I think that I am correct in that the PWK was originally developed by Keihin, that have allowed other companies to manufacture them under license. With a company such as Polini, the quality will undoubtedly be excellent, & with their background in diverse products, such as Paramotors, they will be relying upon the reliability & contemporary design of the PWK format.

In the event that nobody else has yet bought specifically a Polini PWK, you will be able to glean jetting information from various Forums (including this one!) by searching.

From what little experience that I have with the PWK's, I think that they are an excellent carburettor in terms of price & performance. Even the Chinese bootleg versions can be made to work well, but that requires some modifications that you will be able to avoid!

Although PWK's feature an overflow to avoid flooding, making them suitable for use with air filters (unlike a certain other carb that has a massive following.....) I think it wise to have a good inline fuel filter as the generic Lambretta in tank filter is not particularly good at it's function, IMHO.

What needle & jets do you have so far?
Mrnice71

Agent Buchwald wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:20 pm Hello, i have just put one on, it works but needs jetting properly when i've got an air/fuel meter sorted.
I'm trying to use a filter but may end up ditching it.
First impressions are good though and in theory this design of carb should be ideal.
I did have a bgm carb previously but that just would not work, even with all the presecribed mods, the polini seems better made, up there in quality with a genuine keihin.
It looks very similar to the carb BGM are selling ?
Mrnice71

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:46 pm I think that I am correct in that the PWK was originally developed by Keihin, that have allowed other companies to manufacture them under license. With a company such as Polini, the quality will undoubtedly be excellent, & with their background in diverse products, such as Paramotors, they will be relying upon the reliability & contemporary design of the PWK format.

In the event that nobody else has yet bought specifically a Polini PWK, you will be able to glean jetting information from various Forums (including this one!) by searching.

From what little experience that I have with the PWK's, I think that they are an excellent carburettor in terms of price & performance. Even the Chinese bootleg versions can be made to work well, but that requires some modifications that you will be able to avoid!

Although PWK's feature an overflow to avoid flooding, making them suitable for use with air filters (unlike a certain other carb that has a massive following.....) I think it wise to have a good inline fuel filter as the generic Lambretta in tank filter is not particularly good at it's function, IMHO.

I haven't bought one yet just seeing if anyone else had used them :lol:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Mrnice71 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:04 pm
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:46 pm I think that I am correct in that the PWK was originally developed by Keihin, that have allowed other companies to manufacture them under license. With a company such as Polini, the quality will undoubtedly be excellent, & with their background in diverse products, such as Paramotors, they will be relying upon the reliability & contemporary design of the PWK format.

I haven't bought one yet just seeing if anyone else had used them :lol:
:roll: Typical!

If it were my money, I'd buy into the PWK concept, but shop around. Avoid the Chinese 'genuine fakes' if you can, but besides Keihin & Polini, there's Koso, OKO, Stage6 etc.
tony172
Main scooter: vespa t5

A friend of mine has a 28mm bgm pwk and has given up with it. Gone over to a phbh.
Even after having it setup by a reputable dyno tuner it's still giving him grief.
Mightn't apply to you at all but just something to consider
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I've just bought the Polini 34mm from Scooter. It looks and feels like a good option as it appears to be very precise in manufacture.

FYI my reason for deciding to buy into this carb, when I already have Dellortos is that it is a very compact body size for the venturi size. Unfortunately, I'm probably a couple of months off having a motor built to try it on.

Adam
Warkton Tornado No.1

Adam_Winstone wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:05 pm I've just bought the Polini 34mm from Scooter. It looks and feels like a good option as it appears to be very precise in manufacture.

FYI my reason for deciding to buy into this carb, when I already have Dellortos is that it is a very compact body size for the venturi size. Unfortunately, I'm probably a couple of months off having a motor built to try it on.

Adam
I have been in the situation where, despite owning PWK's (along with many other types), I was persevering with an old VHB converted to two stroke, just to prove that it could be done. Despite rating it better than any other round slide carburettor, the problem with these Dell'Orto's originally intended for four strokes (especially the PH range!) is that they easily flood when the engine has got warmed up & been left, specifically with a decent air filter fitted. They lack an overflow, whereas the PWK has one designed in.

However, what has finally convinced me of how good they really are, is that WT No.2 slung one on his freshly built 200, with an air filter, & it sounded so fit, despite being a 34 mm, questionably oversize for the engine.

With very little time spent, we dialled it in very, very well & @ minimal cost.

He was so chuffed, that he bought another PWK @ only 30 mm to try, then promptly sold the scooter.

Consequently, I too have a 34 mm PWK to fit.

Despite requesting information about any Lambretta fitted with the power jets, nobody has volunteered anything. So, as my engine is piston ported 70 mm x 61 mm, I have sourced an adjustable needle valve that will hopefully prove to be of benefit.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... yes, the compact size and ability to run with air filter is where I hope this will come into its own.

As I said previously, my motor is probably a couple of months off firing up but I'll have a go at dialling it in, then once I've a few miles on it take it to Readspeed and let Jerome work his magic. Mine too is a big cc configuration but I'm trying to get it to keep revs to a limit as the long stroke is going to push up piston speeds, even at lower revs. I'll let you know how I get on (good or bad!).

Ciao
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information