Overheated blue crank

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Northener
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

I heated my crank inner sleave/collar to remove with original type tool (bloody thing didn't work so ended up grinding it off using a dremel very carefully followed by hand files), the crank taper has darkened gone blue, did i use too much heat, weaken the crank.

May seam a daft question but a lot of heat was used as suggested to remove the collar but as above didn't work anyway, i know that you shouldn't use any excessive heat on bearings as if they turn blue it destroys them hence the question.
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

will be OK as long as you have not blued a bearing surface...
Northener

Looked ok underneath the collar/inner sleave once i ground it off, oil seal areas were fairly blue.

I was dubious about putting it back like that so carefully with a dremel again i put a small wire brush attachment on & have gone over the whole taper shaft carfully to remove any 'bluing'.

Concern was as initial post any weakening og the crank.

I've added a couple of photos (if i've upladed right).
warts
Main scooter: honda

Removing the blue doesn't change the fact that the surface got to a change state temperature.

The blue is only an oxide layer, which is commonly used to determine the temperature of a ferrous part for hardening/tempering/annealing purposes.
You can find little comparison tables telling you how hot it got.
Northener

As the underside of the inner race looked 'ok' & not like either side of the inner race, i.e blue & the fact that the flywheel bearing sits on this race am i assuming the crank will be ok?.

The drive side is fine as no heat applied to this side, obviously the flywheel sits on the crank but it is not a bearing track - going by what ForemanBob says.

The 'Spanners Manual' states about getting the track hot using a oxyacetylene torch to get it red hot hence i didn't expect any heat issues.

Been riding scooters since 80's but first time i'd taken the inner race off after getting an original type extractor & truing jig, didn't expect it to be straight forward but chuffing hell....
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

it should be fine if the new track is a snug fit and the crank runs true
C’est la vie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information