GT 240 Gearbox choices

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

Hi ,

Just wondering what other GT 240 kit owners are using gearbox wise
ive got standard TV 175/SX200 in mine, im still running in done about 250 miles (unsure exact due to usual Sip speedo cutting out issues !) the Sx box feels quite revvy 1-3 then seems big gap when put in 4th as engine labours a bit so end up dropping down to 3rd . was advised to go for this but dont feel it works well with the kit or at least not while running in .

running 30 mm phbh and V4 BGm clubman
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

Hi,

I use an Li150 S2 gearbox, 16/46 sprockets with a franspeed race.

I did start off with 17/46 but found it hard to get 'on the pipe' in 4th as I'm a around 17.5 stone, if you're a more reasonable weight I think it would be fine, and also your experience with the clubman will also change this. With 16/46 I can be in 4th at 20mph and accelerate to top speed without problem.

If you've got access to a PC, google the Tony Cassidy Lambretta gearbox visualiser. It will give you the best view of how your gears overlap (or don't) and the options to see what other boxes do.

I've heard the AF 5 speeds are good and I think Eden has fitted one in his GT250 but hasn't had much testing time so far. I keep looking at these but haven't clicked the buy button yet...

Regards,
George
cev

I use a S3 Li150 box with 17/47, 30 phbh and a Fran race pipe. Not too big a jump between 3rd and 4th and pulls well.
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

I think going from 17/46 to 17/47 (instead of 16/46) would also suit me, but it was a cheaper choice to try 16/46 than buy another AF cassette crownwheel.
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

I use an li150 box with 17 46 af road clutch, 30mm with a pm pipe. The pm pipe has great ground clearance, much better than a fran race but not as powerful. Removing the toolbox and moving the casa filter into the toolbox space where it's completely unhindered has really improved performance. Having the casa filter lying flat with one side against the side panel and the other touching the fan cowling made the bike difficult in 4th.
wintermod65

got told 4.8 to 1 ratio either tv175/ sx200 or GP 200 with 17 or 19 whichever gives 4.8 to 1.

took richard taylors tv demonstrator out over at discodezs thinking this was tv sx gearing but reading the scooter nova article found it was different so not a good comparison too mine

considered a 5 speed but not convinced by ax price restoration cost high end of 5 figures already so budget bit blown or reliability that some of the 5 speed options have suffered.

but good to know other options work hopefully some with a box pipe
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

Best of luck with it. If it was me I wouldn't make any firm decisions until the bike is run in and you can rev it in 3rd before going into 4th. Are you running an air filter? As i mentioned before, giving the air filter space to work right changed the performance in mine completely.
wintermod65

running a BGM armadillo carb rubber and remote filter , to be fair it is between tank and toolbox so prob bit restricted left the original scoop in place but could do with baffle removed but dont think even this would make a massive difference have currently got battery in toolbox so not got that option really .
might see if can find some info on the bgm original style airbox see if any good
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information