Avanti Upgrade

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

I have an Avanti which has done around 1500 miles. I also have an Atomic reed valve I'd like to fit to try to improve fuel economy and reduce spit back. I read somewhere that Ron Moss didn't recommend cutting the skirt on the existing Avanti piston or drilling holes in it. Does anyone know if Ron does a piston suitable for a reed valve on an Avanti? Ron doesn't live far from where I work and I've met him a few times. Very nice guy too, but I've done a search and can't find contact details for him so I could ring and have a chat. Any help appreciated. (I know where his workshop is as I've visited, but know it is quite secure and don't want to just turn up unannounced and find he's not there.)
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

If you look @ the website you will see a piston exactly as you require:

https://www.supertune.co/products/avant ... alve-inlet

With respect, though, you would be best to talk it through with Ron, as it is his product. Chances are that he may say that you can convert what you have.

(It's no secret that UK based competitors manufacturing cylinder kits use Mitaka Suzuki TS250 pistons & cut them for reed valves, though the Yamaha DT250 piston comes with windows already in & is almost identical except for the compression height variation of 1.0 mm. Currently, I'm building somebody a TS 70 mm barrelled engine with just such a piston, which @ less than £30 has to be a bargain ;) )
dapper

Warkton, if you had read the blurb on Ron's site properly, you would have seen this at the bottom

"Please Note:-

These are NOT for the Avanti TT3 Kit"
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

In WT's defence:

The Avanti's aren't a standard reed kit, so a standard Avanti piston will not have the reed holes. If an Avanti kit was changed to a reed valve then the piston shown would probably be suitable...........best to give Ron a call though.
Warkton Tornado No.1

dapper wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:09 pm Any help appreciated
dapper wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:32 pm Warkton, if you had read the blurb on Ron's site properly, you would have seen this at the bottom

Yeah! That's the trouble with me! Reading stuff & taking it literally.

(Ron most likely added the note about the reed valve pistons just in case there were some tw@ts unable to deduce the difference between the piston ported TT3 kit & those modified to take a reed valve. Probably completely unnecessary........)

If I offer to hold your hand & take you to speak to Ron, don't take that literally either.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Before starting to cut or grind fins to fit the Reed manifold try to determine whether it is going to fit or not as I noted that some of the reed manifold put the carb too close to the engine mount. The manifold area is at a slightly different angle to standard.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I had an issue with a Mito flange type manifold fowling the frame on mine, but a short CDC one is fine,
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

I fitted one of Ron's 70mm Mitaka pistons to my Rapido. When I fitted a reed valve to the Rapido I cut the hole and skirt the same as his TS1 version and it was fine. The ring pegs also allowed me to cut a boost port.
dapper

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:50 pm
dapper wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:32 pm Warkton, if you had read the blurb on Ron's site properly, you would have seen this at the bottom

(Ron most likely added the note about the reed valve pistons just in case there were some tw@ts unable to deduce the difference between the piston ported TT3 kit & those modified to take a reed valve. Probably completely unnecessary........)

If I offer to hold your hand & take you to speak to Ron, don't take that literally either.
Warkton, no offence intended. Thank you for the link to Ron's site. However, I know I read that Ron didn't recommend cutting and drilling the standard Avanti piston. Perhaps if his blurb stated "These are NOT for the standard piston ported Avanti TT3 Kit" it would read better. Your totally uneccessary attempt at sarcasm belittles you and was, in my opinion, uncalled for.
Warkton Tornado No.1

dapper wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:09 pm
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:50 pm

Warkton, no offence intended. Thank you for the link to Ron's site. However, I know I read that Ron didn't recommend cutting and drilling the standard Avanti piston. Perhaps if his blurb stated "These are NOT for the standard piston ported Avanti TT3 Kit" it would read better. Your totally uneccessary attempt at sarcasm belittles you and was, in my opinion, uncalled for.
Please do not state "no offence intended" after your initial response to my attempt to help.

Please do not attempt to patronise me by referring to my sarcasm, which was as the result of your own offensive remarks.

Hopefully, you can do what you should have done in the first place & speak directly to Ron, who will qualify the suitability of his products within each other, saving the likes of me attempting to be of any help.

(What may be 'helpful' to others if you can follow this Post of yours up with the facts as a guide to others in the same dilemma)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information