Building for a V5

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
chippy

Acquired a gp125 frame which is not registered. What's best route to obtain a V5. Should I build it as standard with a 125 block in incase it's inspected and then update everything when a plate is issued. Thanks
bsso78

It needs to be complete and running to get a V5. You will be very lucky to not have an inspection done, the only ones I’ve registered since the local DVLA offices closed that weren’t inspected had an MOT. I’m assuming they take the MOT as an inspection but either way you’ll still need it to be complete and roadworthy.
chippy

Interesting, didn't realise it had to run thought it just had to be complete. Thanks
Mark 1
Main scooter: Lambretta GP150

If it’s an Italian GP frame you can apply for the registration and MOT exemption at the same time just using the frame number. You may still get an inspection though and for that it’s best to have a complete scooter. If the inspector thinks you’re putting a box of bits together instead of restoring a complete scooter he can put it on a ‘Q’ plate. New rules also mean the dating certificate can not be older than twelve months.
If it’s Indian then you will need an MOT for the V5.

Cheers
Mark
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

First thing I would do is get your dating certificate, that will give you you year of manufacture, if it’s over 40 years old you will put it as historic when sending off the application for a v5 , that will make it mot and tax excerpt, I have been told it does not have to run, but must be complete and ready to run, ie carb and exhaust and wiring connected and as said before don’t say it’s a bit of this and that just say it’s all original if you get an inspection, last 2 I’ve done did not get inspected , scootering magazine March 2019 has a guide to registering which will help you
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

Doesnt need to be running for Registration or Inspection just built to look like a scooter
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
warts
Main scooter: honda

But an MOT requires it to run.
ktmh5
Main scooter: GP225 Mugello

Mark 1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:13 pm
If it’s Indian then you will need an MOT for the V5.

Cheers
Mark
That is not correct if it is over 40 years old so for example, early Indian SIL GP's (75/6 - 78) and API S2's etc do not require an MOT.
bsso78

This is one reason I try not to comment and offer advice. There’s always someone pops up with a different opinion. I wrote a guide to registering a scooter when I was writing for Scootering a few years ago and such did the research and double checked it.
If the inspector turns up and wants to see it running and it doesn’t they can refuse to pass it. Alternatively you can take the chance. Up to you old bean.
By the way has anyone got a scan of the article that someone said Scootering printed a couple of months ago? Just to be sure they aren’t reprinting my work.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

are you owed a fee barry lollol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information