Wits end ...and past it

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

:oops:
Just fettling my TV200 rebuild and , for the life of me , cannot get the rear hub oil seal to stop leaking after a good run ...Its a TV2 casing and appears to be in good nick all round where the bearing sits so I`d obviously want to keep using that .... so far I have systematically replaced ...
1 . The bearing from a Race Tour one to a new type MB one with seal fitted ...
2. The O ring .
3. The lay shaft
4. The crankcase breather ( removed any mist pad/ wire wool so its just open really )
5. The rear hub shim.
6 . The rear hub and cone
7 . Tried 2 different types of bearing retaining plates ..New recessed MB ones and original , Thick and thin ...

It appears to come straight though the seal when the engine is warm .. I`ll post some pics of it . The bearing is a good fit in the casing ..The both layshafts I used were good , tight fits through the inner race ??/

Does anyone know if there's a possibility of fitting a completely sealed bearing as I`m proper sick of rebuilding it now .... I know they are common size bearings ( 6004 Open Type Deep Groove Ball Bearing 20x42x12mm ) but the lambretta needs that shoulder in it ??

cheers for any help
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

(You are a lot further on than I am with your TV. Mind you, I now have a complete frame with which to replace the loop etc :roll:)

I know a lot of people have faith in items (re-invented by some business men that would claim to have invented the wheel :D), but you may be better to stick with known products of original manufacture. There are good secondhand OEM Innocenti rear hub bearings available & they are my preference over anything new.

This may seem a silly question, but are you fitting the seal the correct way? The spring should be toward the inside of the engine to resist pressure.
nellyboyo

ha, no it doesn't seem silly mate ...yes definitely fitted the right way ....I have chucked old bearings ....and yes, my mate mentioned that they were preferable sometimes ...After I had chucked them out :cry:
Warkton Tornado No.1

I don't have my SKF book to hand, but I looked into the feasibility of a standard bearing some time ago.

As I recall, there is a bearing (with captive seals, I think) with a snap ring to position it axially. It would require a shim to achieve the correct geometry, but worth a look :idea:
nellyboyo

Heres some pics of the leak ......

HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Is the crankcase being pressurised in some way,forcing the oil past the oil seal on the rear hub bearing.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

Maybe try a oil plug with the breather tube? In case of any crankcase pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox 😎👍
Mrnice71
Main scooter: Lambretta series 3

The MB hub bearings are known to be crap l would recommend RIV or Casa , what make of seal is it ? l only use Rolf , l can never even fit the pattern ones without damaging them and warm them up a bit when fitting and lots of seal grease
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

Are you sure that oilseal is seated on the inner bearing track properly?
C’est la vie
Warkton Tornado No.1

I hate to say it, but I think that seal is fitted the wrong way around...... :|

The lip with spring should be toward the inside.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information