Mugello186

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Fruitjuice

How Michael differente would an LTH reedvalve manifold make to a Mugello 186 engine? Only reduce the Sportback or does it clean up the bottom end a lot at the same time?
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
Fruitjuice

Fruitjuice wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:17 pm How Michael differente would an LTH reedvalve manifold make to a Mugello 186 engine? Only reduce the Sportback or does it clean up the bottom end a lot at the same time?
Stupid autocorrect!

How much difference would an LTH reedvalve manifold make to a Mugello 186 engine? Only reduce the Spitback or does it clean up the bottom end a lot at the same time?
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Dependent upon the state of tune with any cylinder, there will be spit back from a piston ported engine, especially with any increase of inlet duration.

One method of reducing spit back is to fit a reed valve, which should increase torque @ the bottom end of the range.

Having fitted that type to a Rapido, the reed valve 'civilised' the engine, but it was not a massive transformation into a "poor man's" TS1, where the reed is better placed, closer to the bore.

However, if a decent sized elbow & a high flow filter is fitted (as I have on a 71mm x 61mm Rapido) the spit back no longer becomes an issue, though the carburation will need leaning off @ the bottom to mid range. (I am constantly amazed that there are cases of the standard bellows being utilised on tuned/bigger carb engines, because I could never get them to breathe sufficiently even on a 175!)

The downside can be that the Dell'Orto's PH range so beloved by many Lambretta owners, tend to flood as they have no built in overflow, unlike the superior PWK ;)

Whilst other's on this Forum advocate drilling a hole in any elbow to prevent the occurrence of flooding, I prefer to run a small flexible tube down to the lower fan cowling pipe clip (if present) that has wire wool stuffed up the end to provide filtration.

Although I have applied the drain hole filtration technique to several engines now, I no longer think it necessary for superior carbs, like the PWK ( :D ) because they have a built in overflow/anti-flood.

I hope I have answered your question, in a very roundabout way! I would advise you try a very good filter system first, because the cost of those RVM's are knocking on the door of a good, basic long stroke crankshaft, which I'd prefer as a means of providing a performance boost & obtaining better port timings........allied to a good filter, of course!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information