Rear hub oil seal

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Mrnice71
Main scooter: Lambretta series 3

Good thanks for letting us know , just shows cheap Indian seals are useless :roll:
Fudgy
Main scooter: Lambretta gp

Bumping this up.
I have changed the rear hub seal twice and I still have an occasional slight leak not enough to effect my brakes but when I remove the hub there is a small amount of oil down the shaft.
There is a small amount of play when I rock the wheel so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.
I bought this bike rebuilt from rayspeed fully restored.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Two options.

Option 1: Good Luck if you do take the issue further with the engine supplier! :roll:

Option 2: If, on the other hand, you want to have another go yourself, you need to check out why there is play. If it's an Indian hub bearing, or worse (MBD plastic cage) there are suppliers of better bearings. Even a good second hand OEM European bearing would be better. The endplate bearing is likely to also be of dubious manufacture, so check that out as well as the fasteners & dowels. Try & fit the longest M7 rolled thread studs that you can obtain, cutting longer ones down if necessary. An M7 tap will cost pennies to make the holes full depth & clean. Buy proper OEM hardened M7 nuts & springwashers. Send any back that aren't! Some dealers that have been around as long as I have should be ashamed as to what they supply!

As for the seal, a quality seal is a must. Rhondama or the like will be good enough.

The seal surface must be of the correct grade: not too polished, not too rough. It needs to retain oil so that the seal does not burn out. Scotchbrite abrasive pads are your friend! The seal should be temporarily greased as it is fitted (with the spring always to the side with the greatest pressure, in this case, toward the gearbox) so that it can never run dry. Once the engine is started, the oil (or ATF!) will be distributed sufficient that the seal will be lubricated well enough.

I reckon Option 2 would cause the least stress...... :)
Fudgy
Main scooter: Lambretta gp

I am mechanically minded but a lambretta novice. I have made a few friends over the months who are clued up.
I will contact the supplier first and see what the outcome is.
It looks like a fairly big job.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information