S3 layshaft slop

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Good exampleImage

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

garry inglis

This other Spanish endplate bush is 24.3 and a good fit with bearing and layshaft so it looks like anything under 24 is worn and could lead to play on the wheel Image

fluff34567

Cheers Gary, just saw the reply now. My shafts are marginally smaller but the bush Is also smaller.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

garry inglis wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:27 am This other Spanish endplate bush is 24.3 and a good fit with bearing and layshaft so it looks like anything under 24 is worn and could lead to play on the wheel

Sorry, If I'm being thick, but I presume you're measuring the ID of the bearing track? Assuming the bearing cage has 2mm rollers the diameter of the shaft and rollers will be 24 point something allowing for a little clearance and in and out variation on the bearing.

So when you say ' under 24 is worn' are you talking about the combination of bearing and layshaft?

For the track to be worn surely it would be bigger ?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
garry inglis

Yes you would think that but funnily the 23.45 was the only slack one and that the one I changed when I had a wobble on my wheel but I agree it should be 25/26ish

fluff34567

rosscla wrote:
garry inglis wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:27 am This other Spanish endplate bush is 24.3 and a good fit with bearing and layshaft so it looks like anything under 24 is worn and could lead to play on the wheel

Sorry, If I'm being thick, but I presume you're measuring the ID of the bearing track? Assuming the bearing cage has 2mm rollers the diameter of the shaft and rollers will be 24 point something allowing for a little clearance and in and out variation on the bearing.

So when you say ' under 24 is worn' are you talking about the combination of bearing and layshaft?

For the track to be worn surely it would be bigger ?
In my case I have a shaft with a 19.97 end and when used with a bearing cup of 24.05 I get a bit of play.. If i Use a cup of 24.02 it makes a big difference and cuts the movement by half.

I found an old old cup that's 24.10 and that's all over the place.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Just done anone this morning, back wheel wobblin like a good un. Fitted a new Scootopia bearing and track, track measured 24.4 still wobbled, tried another bearing and about the same, found another old track that measured 24.1 fitted the new Scootopia bearing with this track and bang on no movement.

It’s very much a case of mix and match with this job as ive found out yet again today.
garry inglis

been a good post this which shows a problem we all have and shows a good way to help sort wheel wobble as its not always the rear bearing
fluff34567

Yep very much so, it can be a combination of end plate bearing cup, end plate bearing, the layshaft and the hub bearing. 0.02mm mm wear on the layshaft or the the bearing cup can result in huge differences.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information