LED COB Headlights (spanners manual)

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Still fecking about with it, I've also today fitted the extension lead and dropped the IC box in behind the horncast as there's no way it was going inthe headset even with the extra space.

I still have some concerns about the proximity of the heatsink to the other wiring in the headset. It really depends on how hot that will get - I'm thinking about popping a bit of heat shield in just in case.

I'm a little behind as I had a problem with the clutch which has resulted in that having to be replaced...hopefully tomorrow.

Will spark it up in the dark tomorrow night.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla

I’ve had a bit of bother with the wiring which has taken me some time to get to the bottom of - anyway here’s what the lamp looks like when lit -

It is very bright but I’m still concerned that the heat sink is rammed hard up against the wiring bundle in the headset even with the IC unit down behind the horn cast.

I’m going to have another look tomorrow to see if I can clear any more space. It’s just so busy in there I might go back to a standard halogen bulb as I need to get it thru the MOT in the next week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
warts
Main scooter: honda

A LED turns roughly 90% of the supplied energy into light, 10% as heat. A halogen is the other way round.
Applying the inverse square law, you could work out the heat getting onto your wiring...
rosscla

I’ve done some fairly drastic surgery on the wiring in the headset, moving as much of it rearward as possible so as to make more space and took the connections for the indicator loom down into the horncast along with the IC block and I think I’ve got it all in safely now.

purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

Looks good Rosscla. I need to tidy my wiring up but getting the time or enthusiasm is slowing me down from doing it.
coaster

I'll be interested in how you get on with the LED as heat dispersion is the reason I have stuck with the HID's I fitted to my Jet and LiS a few years ago both with Jockeys reflectors ad full DC conversions. Both have covered thousands of miles now without issue and cost a LOT less than that LED, one was £4.99 and the other around £10 from China via ebay.

Both scoots have sailed through 3 MOT's without comment other than being very bright for a scooter.

There is virtually no heat generated by an HID.
rosscla

I've had to perform some fairly drastic surgery to the wiring inside my headset - not a bad thing to be fair as it was a fecking mess - and even with the extra room the fibre glass lince headset gives you. This just to get the heatsink at the back in without it pressing on the wires.

No-one seems to have a clear answer on how hot those get but I've seen some suggest it may be around 60C which doesn't seem unreasonable to me, halogen or incandecant bulbs must get much hotter than that and some of that must conduct backwards to the holder and into the headset area. The wiring around your engine bay must get at least that hot?
rosscla

Been running it for a couple of weeks now, no apparent heat issues as yet

Couple of pics out the back in the dark tonight -

purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

Excellent Rosscla.
Are you happy with it and do you find it worth while for the extra light?
I can't fault it myself
rosscla

Been running it all year no peons at all so far
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information