LED COB Headlights (spanners manual)

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

rosscla wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:27 am
purple_pill67 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:26 pm Send him a message to see when they are back in, he's been helpful when I've been in contact.
I got some car dash lights off him too.
He's an ex scooterist and I believe working with scootering on getting a standard lammy fitting one tested. Still be DC though.
Yes, responded promptly and apparently back in stock now.

How hot does the heatsink get and how have you avoided the existing wiring getting in the way / touching it?
It's a tight squeeze in the headset, ideally I would get the extension wire and have the little unit in the horncast but my bolts are rusted too bad and haven't had time to get them drilled out.
I haven't noticed it getting too hot so far. I use the Wago blocks for the connections in the headset. It just took a lot of wiggling about to get stuff to clear
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I have a lince so more spacious in there and I also use the WAGO connectors - maybe I need to just o do a bit of a tidy up with the wiring
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

purple_pill67 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:05 pm https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collec ... 9030141023

These are brilliant and well worth the money.
Have one on my Jet fitted with Jockeys headlight unit and I'm on full DC.
A mate said its like having a floodlight behind him when I follow him
Reading the reviews by purchasers on the classiccarled website, the product sounds fantastic, even used with headlights that presumably are as old as the vehicle they are fitted to.

Which begs the question as to whether the OEM style fluted glass would be good enough, as opposed to the Jockey unit :?:

With the standard Lambretta headlight lamp fitting, is it a case of grinding out the diameter to suit the bigger H4 bulb after removing the normal lamp terminals?
purple_pill67

He has got a standard fitment bulb on test with help from scootering I believe if you don't want to convert to H4 fitting.
I'm not sure what they look like in with a normal glass, the spread may not be as good as with a Jockeys unit but it'll be a massive improvement either way.
Just to note, they are DC only I believe, the wassell conversion is a must IMO especially if you ride in the dark.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

purple_pill67 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:47 am He has got a standard fitment bulb on test with help from scootering I believe if you don't want to convert to H4 fitting.
I'm not sure what they look like in with a normal glass, the spread may not be as good as with a Jockeys unit but it'll be a massive improvement either way.
Just to note, they are DC only I believe, the wassell conversion is a must IMO especially if you ride in the dark.
IMHO the safest option is to have 12v DC lighting in the event of any reason for the engine cutting out, such as running out of fuel etc.

Having just bought a new Scootopia glass with reflector unit, I should try that, but, had I known about these, I would have tried one:

https://www.scooter-center.com/en/76761 ... -vgla-vglb

(I guess it shouldn't be too long, though, before some other enterprise undercuts even that price ;) )
rosscla

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:20 am

Which begs the question as to whether the OEM style fluted glass would be good enough, as opposed to the Jockey unit :?:

With the standard Lambretta headlight lamp fitting, is it a case of grinding out the diameter to suit the bigger H4 bulb after removing the normal lamp terminals?
q1 - Indeed we'll find out what the original lamp is like.

q 2 - mine is a Lince so already on H4 type bulb
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla

Comes in a nice box with instructions

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
purple_pill67

It definitely feels like quality, a lot better than the cheap hid ones I got for the car that lasted a few weeks
rosscla

Just a quick update - the lamp on my Lince is NOT H4 - the three pin connector misled me...

Turns out it is actually PT45 R2 fortunately there is a suitable adapter ring so I’ve ordered one of those too.

I checked the wiring and it turns out this is different as well. My old bulb was red - dip, blue - main, yellow - earth and the h4 LED one is red - dip, yellow - main and blue - earth so the positions of the pin outs are different.

It’s bright - I still have spots in my eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
purple_pill67

How did you get on with it Rosscla?
Did you get to test it out in the dark?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information