SS200 Kit Problems

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
fsmlittler

I've had a Mugello and an RT kit previously but fancied trying the SS200. The kit arrives with nothing in the way of instructions but there is a pretty decent video on line so it didn't take too much to work out what was what. It may have been useful if they had explained that the head cowling won't fit without a fair bit of trimming but I guess that may be obvious givne it has a reed and the carb is on the other side so my fault. I also struggled with fitting the exhaust stub as I didn't get the dome headed allen bolts and the spacing of the studs makes it impossible to fit nuts. Again this may be fairly minor.
So instruction video flowed repeatedly all built and for the first time ever I decided I really should do a pressure test. Thank god I did as there is a massive leak between the head and barrel. I've tried various head gaskets with and without threebond and tried it without any gasket but it blows big time. I fitted my RT head (much better fit and finish) and it still blows in the same area.
I am waiting on the scooter center coming back to me but I guess the top face of the barrel isn't perfectly straight since I get the leak in the same area with either head and all options of gasket? Has anyone else had a similar problem?
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

If you have tried a gasket and threebond together and still have a leak then something is twisted probably the head did you tourq the head diagonally say to 16flb then 20flb as it is Ali and can easily twist out of shape

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Steveshipley
Main scooter: Sx150

that's serious stuff for a kit at that price !!
fsmlittler

Religiously followed the torquing procedure carefully.
I think the fact that a known head leaks in the same place suggests it’s the barrel?
The worst part is I may have to strip it all and send it back to Germany.
Steveshipley
Main scooter: Sx150

that's the real pisser fsmlittler you fork out all the cash and have to go thru the hassle of returns and effectively prove the point.
fsmlittler

So I finally resolved the poorly fitting head but I now had issues fitting my exhaust stub.
If you use the studs provided there is insufficient clearance for nuts. The fitting video talks about and shows dome headed Allen screws but these weren’t supplied.
My final moan is that there is a recess cast into the cylinder and the video talks about a viton seal fitting in there but again this wasn’t supplied. I can’t get one as they are out of stock but apparently I should just go ahead and fit the exhaust without one as it’s not really necessary. Strange that they obviously thought otherwise when they designed the kit.
I hope it performs well...
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

fsmlittler wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:55 pm So I finally resolved the poorly fitting head but I now had issues fitting my exhaust stub.
If you use the studs provided there is insufficient clearance for nuts. The fitting video talks about and shows dome headed Allen screws but these weren’t supplied.
My final moan is that there is a recess cast into the cylinder and the video talks about a viton seal fitting in there but again this wasn’t supplied. I can’t get one as they are out of stock but apparently I should just go ahead and fit the exhaust without one as it’s not really necessary. Strange that they obviously thought otherwise when they designed the kit.
I hope it performs well...
Not great. I'd fill the recess with silicon and add more to the machined face around it.

You should be able to source a viton o ring elsewhere by measuring the groove width and the iniside diameter of the groove.
garry inglis

It should have been in the kit I built one when they first came out and it was only about 3mm thick and plus threebond and you definitely need domed bolts not nuts and put copperslip on them

fsmlittler

I’m still waiting for an ‘O’ ring and domed nuts but I’ve managed to assemble it without for the sake of getting it run in.
I’ve jetted the carb as per Casa specs and running a JL expansion chamber. Over 6000 rpm it takes off but it won’t pull much below and it won’t take 4th at all (Indian gearing). Do I need to look at the carb settings?
garry inglis

There carb spec is very rich for UK I ran mine on 46x16 4.9 and an ads3 from chiselspeeds and that ran well I used a30mm vhsh what's your carb and are you on 5.2 gearing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information