TV2 electrics

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Steveshipley
Main scooter: Sx150

hi just starting to strip a TV2 for restoration. I'm intending keeping it as original as possible (bar a paint refresh) been looking at the electrics and I think I've found the taped off battery feed, but I'm confused by a single brown wire that comes out of the junction box/rectifier and goes to a cylindrical thing (condenser capacitor ???) that's just fastened to the frame. no output from it just a single wire in.
any idea of its function and why it is there?

Thanks Steve
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Is this your system?
http://scooterhelp.com/electrics/wiring ... .wbatt.pdf

A photo might help determine what's going on.
Steveshipley

yeah I think so Grumpy, that's similar to the one in Stickys book, but there's no single brown wire going out to a capacitor thingy....?
firekdp

Looks like someone's fitted an external condenser, is there one on the stator? Was it connected to the greens
Steveshipley

don't know, haven't taken the flywheel off yet or opened the rectifier. I'll check tomorrow.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

Steveshipley wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm hi just starting to strip a TV2 for restoration. I'm intending keeping it as original as possible (bar a paint refresh) been looking at the electrics and I think I've found the taped off battery feed, but I'm confused by a single brown wire that comes out of the junction box/rectifier and goes to a cylindrical thing (condenser capacitor ???) that's just fastened to the frame. no output from it just a single wire in.
any idea of its function and why it is there?

Thanks Steve
sounds like a remote condensor . Its a very good way of fitting a points condensor as you can test it and replace it without removing the flywheel cowling. you can either wire a new condensor into the Stator as per original or fix a new condensor to the wire and clamp the condensor to the frame at a good earthing point out of sight somewhere or better still fit a 2x wire condensor
Steveshipley

what's a 2xwire condenser? cheers
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

That's not normal. I think the wire being brown was just what was used. Follow the diagram and you won't go wrong.

Like others have posted it's a secondary condenser, usually used to try to solve an ignition problem (tied to a green wire before the coil). Once you dig in to the stator and associated wiring it should make a lot more sense.
Steveshipley

thanks chaps, starting to make sense now.

excellent forum - great help as ever.

Cheers steve
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information