Casa 185 Kit.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Hi,
Just treated myself to a Casa 185 kit for Xmas, for my LIS150. Looks a nice piece of kit, but noticed that inlet and exhaust ports are not smooth/polished!
Would they benefit from a clean up to allow gasses to pass over more easily?
Sorry if dopey/obvious question, but if you don't ask, you never learn! I have looked for answers on the net, but nothing comes up!
TIA.
Martin
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Apparently a bit of rougness in the inlet port is a good thing. It causes turbulence and thought it might sound strange it stops the gasses clinging to the inlet wall and therefor slowing down the flow. Whereas if it is polished the gas will stick, if you like, and move slower at the edges than it does in the middle. Strange but true. I'd imagine it might be similar for the exhaust port too.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Martin20 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:58 pm Hi,
Just treated myself to a Casa 185 kit for Xmas, for my LIS150. Looks a nice piece of kit, but noticed that inlet and exhaust ports are not smooth/polished!
Would they benefit from a clean up to allow gasses to pass over more easily?
Sorry if dopey/obvious question, but if you don't ask, you never learn! I have looked for answers on the net, but nothing comes up!
TIA.
Martin
I have three Casa kits,two 185's and a Casa 210(big brother to the 185).I have never cleaned up or polished the inlet and exhaust ports.They're not built for speed and I doubt wether cleaning the ports up will make very much difference.As I say they're not built for speed,they're built for reliability.If you want more speed there are lots of kits that are faster than the Casa 185.
Martin20

Doom Patrol wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:58 pm Apparently a bit of rougness in the inlet port is a good thing. It causes turbulence and thought it might sound strange it stops the gasses clinging to the inlet wall and therefor slowing down the flow. Whereas if it is polished the gas will stick, if you like, and move slower at the edges than it does in the middle. Strange but true. I'd imagine it might be similar for the exhaust port too.
Thanks for that Doom Patrol. Thought it was a little strange to leave ports rough when everything else looks so well made!
HxPaul wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:33 pm
Martin20 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:58 pm
I have three Casa kits,two 185's and a Casa 210(big brother to the 185).I have never cleaned up or polished the inlet and exhaust ports.They're not built for speed and I doubt wether cleaning the ports up will make very much difference.As I say they're not built for speed,they're built for reliability.If you want more speed there are lots of kits that are faster than the Casa 185.
Cheers Paul. Bought kit for reliability, rather than speed. Looking to add a larger carb, PHBL 25mm, together with AF 42mm Clubman, to hopefully get me to just north of 55ish mph!
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Check before you buy a larger carb. They are meant to be a standard'ish kit and probably best suited to a 22mm.
HxPaul

Doom Patrol wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:54 pm Check before you buy a larger carb. They are meant to be a standard'ish kit and probably best suited to a 22mm.
One 185 and the 210 both use a phbl carb,the other 185 uses a 22mil sh/2 carb.They all run through a standard filter through the standard airbox.There's very little between the two carbs.
Martin20

HxPaul wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:24 pm
Doom Patrol wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:54 pm Check before you buy a larger carb. They are meant to be a standard'ish kit and probably best suited to a 22mm.
One 185 and the 210 both use a phbl carb,the other 185 uses a 22mil sh/2 carb.They all run through a standard filter through the standard airbox.There's very little between the two carbs.
I have a couple of 22mm Jetex carbs, so might try one of them first, before shelling out £150 or so for a 25mm!

From everything that I have read, electronic ignition is a must! Anyone any recommendations? At the moment, thinking Anthony Tambs kit, but would a cheaper Indian one suffice?
HxPaul

I've got one 185 with an Anthony Tambs stator plate, an Indian flywheel and a Ducati CDI.The other two have Indian stator plates and flywheels,each have an external pick up with Anthony Tambs CDI's that take there power from the lighting coils,thus cutting out the need for an LT coil.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

Anthony also sells the flywheels and can also fit the external pick up trigger, his stuff is very high quality ive fitted 3 upto now and will be getting more, the old saying you only get what you pay for is very true, just look on this forum for stator and ignition faults mainly with indian components but bgm as well, they can give a load of problems, buy all from Anthony and you will be a happy scooterist, his knowledge is very high, he is on facebook , scootronics, or send me a pm if you don't do fb.
Martin20

holty wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:35 pm Anthony also sells the flywheels and can also fit the external pick up trigger, his stuff is very high quality ive fitted 3 upto now and will be getting more, the old saying you only get what you pay for is very true, just look on this forum for stator and ignition faults mainly with indian components but bgm as well, they can give a load of problems, buy all from Anthony and you will be a happy scooterist, his knowledge is very high, he is on facebook , scootronics, or send me a pm if you don't do fb.
Cheers Holty. Pretty sure that I will be going for the Scootronics set up, hope he sends full and detailed instructions🤔
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information