Pickup /flywheel alignment madness

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

you know when you have been plugging away at something for days ....weeks ....months even ...and the frustration of getting nowhere builds up until you just want to scream and smash your scooter up with a sledge hammer just to get a tiny bit of satisfaction..?

Well I came close today for sure. :cry:

The other day I installed my new electronic stator CDI and regulator and although I managed to get the pickup aligned with the flywheel marks at TDC I couldn't get a spark from either the CDI or stator.

I ordered a new CDI and also refurbished a spare electronic stator and fitted them both this afternoon and do you think I could get the blasted pickup to align with the flywheel ?............nosireebob.

Thinking something simple had to be the cause I double checked my TDC mark on the mag housing and it was spot on.
I again checked the flywheel marks lined up with the double tab on the flywheel and they did.......
I put the stator at the maximum position on the slots and still the pickup mark was nowhere near the flywheel mark ????????wtf ?

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong . Have I been sold the wrong flywheel ? its a Li150 crank fit boss . Both the stators are identical as far as I can see but something is off somewhere.
]Image[/img]
]Image[/img]
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261 ... cf6jpg.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261 ... hf4vmi.jpg
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Don't try and line the pick up whitemarks as that is for original ducati flywheel and stator as all the new parts are not made in the same factory the tolerance will be different set your stator in the middle of slots and fit the flywheel the woodruff key sets were it will sit anyway and start it up then strobe it in to the required setting probably 17"

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

johnny650

ahhhhhhh thanks garry, I knew there had to be an easy fix .
I can't remember where I read about lining up the white maks now ...
I hope my timing light still works lol....Is 17 enough advance ? I was going to try 19
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

the marks on the outside of the pick up are only a guide, as soon as you get it to run a strobe should be used and adjustments made to get the 17 degrees, I have heard of crappy flywheels with the slot in the wrong place, if this turns out to be the case an Anthony tambs external pick-up would be a good fix, ive got one on my scooter and I know garry has too, big bonus is you can adjust without removing the flywheel
garry inglis

As you can see this stator is set at 17 and so is the external pickupImage

johnny650

great 17 is is then, Thanks for your advice guys and the image is very helpful too.
If I spin my flywheel with a drill and socket adaptor I should be able to time the ignition without the need to start and run the engine.

I read on MB about a neat mod using a tank strap trunnion to make an adjustable advance stator which sounded like a good idea but now that Tambs has developed an external pickup its a no-brainer so I'll have to make it one of my Christmas presents lol

Dear Santa,............,, I have been a very good boy.................
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

johnny650 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:53 pm great 17 is is then, Thanks for your advice guys and the image is very helpful too.
If I spin my flywheel with a drill and socket adaptor I should be able to time the ignition without the need to start and run the engine.

I read on MB about a neat mod using a tank strap trunnion to make an adjustable advance stator which sounded like a good idea but now that Tambs has developed an external pickup its a no-brainer so I'll have to make it one of my Christmas presents lol

If you spin up the engine with a drill, in the correct engine direction, you're "trying" to undo the flywheel nut. Retorque afterwards (from experience :roll: ). You'll also have the plug out, but just make sure you have fuel flow to carb/ cyl for lube. S
johnny650

B-Race Tuning wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:23 pm
johnny650 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:53 pm great 17 is is then, Thanks for your advice guys and the image is very helpful too.

If you spin up the engine with a drill, in the correct engine direction, you're "trying" to undo the flywheel nut.
really ! ...................:lol: well ....I never realised that .................and I've been doing this for a few years now too. :D ...learn something every day :roll:
fluff34567

Gary, why 17 and not the normal 19?
garry inglis

fluff34567 wrote:Gary, why 17 and not the normal 19?
You could set it at 19 on a standard engine with 95 octane fuel but 17 on a tuned or use 97 octane fuel it just burns better if I put 95 in my ts230 tuned engine it runs crap

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information