electronic ignition... no spark

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

What holty is referring to on the stators is the woodruff key slot should be in the position on the photo as a while back some came with the slot above the rivet and you could not set them up here is two good electronic flywheel on the left an li150 taper and the right a gp taper I've marked in white were the slot is if yours is above this say by 5/10mm then that could be your problem ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

garry inglis

Just a thought while I was in my workshop have you checked the flywheel is fitting on the crank so it seats down to the maghousing as some have to be lapped to seat properly although it's tightening down if it's not fully the pickup won't be inline with the slots on the flywheel

johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

holty wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:31 pm there are realy only 3 parts to the electronic system, cdi/coil . stator and flywheel, I have heard of flywheel faults, if you have replaced stator and cdi maybe flywheel is wrong or faulty, can you borrow one to rule it out, I have also known stators to be faulty when new so I wouldn't rule that out at this stage.

ive just bought the full lot off Anthony tambs for a project, he tests all his stuff himself and its very good, he has it made to his spec and also has upgraded cdi and pickups, he is on facebook under scootronic
Unfortunately I don't have a spare flywheel to try or borrow but what on earth could go wrong with that ? its just a disk with 6 magnets ! :? Even if the magnets were in the wrong position it should still produce a pulse to the CDI .

I wish I could afford a couple of hundred pounds for a full A Tambs ignition system but on a state pension it just cannot be justified. I've already spent well over £150 on these electronic ignition bits .......I can't very well throw them away

I'm certain that it has to be the pickup alignment its the only thing left
johnny650

garry inglis wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:08 pm Just a thought while I was in my workshop have you checked the flywheel is fitting on the crank so it seats down to the maghousing as some have to be lapped to seat properly although it's tightening down if it's not fully the pickup won't be inline with the slots on the flywheel

thats a good point but how can I tell if the flywheel is sitting far enough into the mag housing. ? I could use a vernier gauge to measure from the face of the flywheel to the back of the mag housing through one of the flywheel holes. I could then remove the flywheel and measure the height of the pickup above the back of the mag housing . That should give me a good idea of how the pickup aligns with the magnets vertically I'm sure that is where the problem lies . Either that or the pickups on both stators are faulty even though the resistances are ok
garry inglis

The outer lip on the flywheel should be only 2/3mm away from the maghousing and if you put a bit of white paint on the pick up magnets fit it and tighten down spin it then take it off and see were the paint is on the slots inside the flywheel they should be inline

johnny650

Adam_Winstone wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:52 pm "475 ohms on the red and 93 ohms on the green wire"... taken from your initial post. The green from the HT should be the 450+ figure and the red from the pickup should be 93+ (typically more like 95-115). Was this just a typo or have you got the wrong colours from the wrong thing?

Where is your stator from and what are the 4 colours?

Adam
mm I'll have to check that. I wrote down the readings from both stators last night but may have made a mistake and switched them around in the post

. ok just raced down to the shed and checked.
white to red 93 ohms both stators
white to green 500 ohms

you were right I had transposed them ...! :roll:
johnny650

garry inglis wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:35 pm The outer lip on the flywheel should be only 2/3mm away from the maghousing and if you put a bit of white paint on the pick up magnets fit it and tighten down spin it then take it off and see were the paint is on the slots inside the flywheel they should be inline

I'll give that a try tomorrow . i think the gap between the magnets and the pickup face is about 0.5mm too much for rattle can paint but some emulsion should do the trick .
Good idea garry .....saves faffing around with the vernier.

I'll take a piccy of the flywheel to mag housing gap tomorrow . I noticed that the flywheel did seem to project out from the lip of the mag housing about 5mm or so which i thought seemed a lot
garry inglis

0.5 gap is good

johnny650

ok 0.5 but I'll do the paint check you suggested tomorrow or maybe I could use plasticene or putty .
I did think about enlarging the slits in the flywheel to get better access but not sure if that is possible.
I might try ordering up a Chinese G6y type pickup and trying to fit that externally and testing they are only a £ fiver.

I have some leds so will also try putting them on the pickup as Adam suggested.

Oh I forgot to say the stators were both bought off ebay and the colours are yellow green white and red as standard. I beleve you can see one of the stators in my images

thanks for all your help guys I'll have a huge bar bill when we get it going lol
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

While you're at it paint two line on the sides of the pickup parallel with the poles and the base plate and paint the fingers on the flywheel in white . This way you can see, albeit a little tricky, that the poles align with the fingers on the flywheel.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information