electronic ignition... no spark

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

garry inglis wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:16 pm If you have all connected try for spark with the plug out touching metal if no spark try different plug if no spark take cap off and try the cable against metal if the spark is there it's your cap and just work back double check everything and Inbetween take tea breaks fag brakes before you smash it up with a big hammerImageImage

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
tried all that garry. I tried 3x known good plugs and 3x known good HT leads. i only have 2x plug caps and one is definitely dodgy so i've ordered a new lead and cap with the CDI.
The problem is I have no spark from any of the bare HT leads I've tried so I'm guessing its the CDI but I wasn't sure how much output I'm getting from the stator LT coil.

I'll spin the engine over with a drill tomorrow and measure the AC output of the stator green wire ...
I've left my big hammer down the garage in case I feel tempted lol :lol:
johnny650

Surely there isn't any difference between a CDI for a Battery system and an CDI for a AC system ?

I see some electronic CDIs are listed as 12v but I would assume that as the LT coil output into the CDI is in AC the CDI doesn't have a specific input voltage and this description is not relevant .......?
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

No difference 12v for both ducati or bgm or scootronics are about the best

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

good advice from garry, have you checked the alignment of the pickup with the triggering fingers in the flywheel ?
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

i wouldn't bother with the bgm,px,af cdi units i'd spend the little extra on one of Anthiony Tambs(scootronics) ones just purchased one myself and at £45 delivered best one i have spent the money on.Had an issue with it dying at 2-3000 revs so guessed the pick up was wearing,rather than take it all apart etc etc just put one of his on and bingo all good again worth spending just a bit more on one(not spending the friggin £80 that readspeed want for theirs).
the man don't give a f@@k
johnny650

holty wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:48 pm good advice from garry, have you checked the alignment of the pickup with the triggering fingers in the flywheel ?
no I haven't had a chance yet . I'll do that first thing tomorrow. God knows how you measure the pickup gap through the holes on these rubbish flywheel castings .
johnny650

GTFOMWSC wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:17 pm i wouldn't bother with the bgm,px,af cdi units i'd spend the little extra on one of Anthiony Tambs(scootronics) ones just purchased one myself and at £45 delivered best one i have spent the money on.Had an issue with it dying at 2-3000 revs so guessed the pick up was wearing,rather than take it all apart etc etc just put one of his on and bingo all good again worth spending just a bit more on one(not spending the friggin £80 that readspeed want for theirs).

I know I know doh... I watched the video again only last week and thought that would be a great bit of kit but then i promptly forgot and last night I ordered another rubbish PX jobbie :roll:

I'll go and order a CDI from Tambs now and keep the other one as a carry spare just in case.
johnny650

well a quick update.
today I fitted a new CDI and a spare electronic stator and I'm still not getting a spark ?

I tested the stator and the pickup and LT coil both give correct resistance readings of 93.5 ohms and 468 ohms .

not sure where to go from here . can't just keep buying new bits to bolt on .....I can't afford it for one .
[youtube]https://youtu.be/602IkvqgnYA[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/602IkvqgnYA
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/602IkvqgnYA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

there are realy only 3 parts to the electronic system, cdi/coil . stator and flywheel, I have heard of flywheel faults, if you have replaced stator and cdi maybe flywheel is wrong or faulty, can you borrow one to rule it out, I have also known stators to be faulty when new so I wouldn't rule that out at this stage.

ive just bought the full lot off Anthony tambs for a project, he tests all his stuff himself and its very good, he has it made to his spec and also has upgraded cdi and pickups, he is on facebook under scootronic
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

"475 ohms on the red and 93 ohms on the green wire"... taken from your initial post. The green from the HT should be the 450+ figure and the red from the pickup should be 93+ (typically more like 95-115). Was this just a typo or have you got the wrong colours from the wrong thing?

Where is your stator from and what are the 4 colours?

Adam
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information