electronic ignition wiring confusion

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

it doesn't take much these days to confound and confuse me.
I'm usually pretty good with electrical wiring but wiring up the electronic ignition components to my 64 LiS150 Italian non battery has me beat.

Could someone kindly give me a link to the correct wiring diagram to wire this up to my scoot please.

I've found four electrical diagrams and every one of them shows different connections ? :?
I'd rather be sure of wiring it up correctly than possibly blowing my regulator or CDI

I have a Scooter resto Stator with following connections
white -ground
Red - pickup
Green -LT coil
Yellow - lighting horn coils

A Mitsubhi CDI

A 96W generic PX/Lambretta 3x pin AC regulator

Question ...I presume that the yellow CDI wire with the ring connector is an earth wire yes ? This wire seems to be a different colour on every CDI ?/ white black yellow etc No connection is shown for this wire on any diagram I have seen
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

If you look on the af rayspeed website.
The simplified wiring diagram will show you.
The cdi has a yellow earth wire on it according to the diagram.
I used that diagram for my wiring.
Its very simple to follow.
johnny650

thanks robbie I saw that diagram but to be honest found it a little less than clear,
Looking at it again I assume that the green wire at the top of the diagram shows the original green loom wire that goes to the ignition switch to kill the ignition ? its marked 'original wire to coil ' ? not very clear really .

red white and green stator wires to the CDI is clear enough and the yellow to the Regulator . The numbers on the regulator match mine so I can connect that correctly.

The yellow 12v+ feed from the regulator connects to 'junction box but thats it. i presume I join the Pink Purple and Brown wires together and connect them to the yellow feed from the regulator yes ? that would provide a regulated 12v feed .

next to the junction box it says 'green wires separate to main loom ' ? not sure at all what this means ?

to be honest its a really crappy wiring diagram probably doodled on a beer mat lol
wrecklessrobbie

Im did my wiring on a series 2 eibar.
An electronic ignition stator, mitsubishi cdi and a regulator.
Off the top of my head.
The wires from the stator connect to the cdi as per the diagram.
The yellow is an earth.
The green is sent to the headset. On mine it goes to the cutout switch.
The regulator sends brown to the headset for power.
The black in the loom runs from the back light up to the headset as does the grey from the brakeswitch.
I had problems with my old switch in the headset as documented on here. So i bought a scootopia s2 switch. It all connected together easily and worked well.
Is yours s2 or s3?
Kill switch or key ignition switch and light housing?
wrecklessrobbie

Just realised its an s3.
johnny650

sorry I missed this I'd hit the sack early lol.
Thanks for searching this out and posting it robbie its much appreciated however I have to take issue with the diagram .

Its a good diagram on the whole except there is a lot hidden from view which makes it unclear.

The diagram hides some of the loom wiring and if you look at the green wires there are 5x green wires!??

Clearly there are not 5x green wires in any Lambretta loom so where do the extras come from ?

Of course Once you know what is going on it is obvious .,.............but from the point of view of someone who is not aware of the modifications that need to be made to the green ignition wiring then this diagram is pretty useless without the addition of some explanatory text .

Paul Slack has tried to be really thorough here showing the loom wrap and the headset connections but unfortunately it has actually made the diagram confusing and impossible to read.

I still think that there is a real need for a comprehensive procedural guide for upgrading a scoot to electronic ignition with the necessary wiring modifications to the original wiring loom for those that wish to retain it rather than fitting a new electronic loom.
wrecklessrobbie

Ah ok.
I put a new af simple wiring loom onto mine.
I went new as i did not trust 60 year old wires.
What colours do you have on your wiring loom?

I have seen the Paul slack diagram.
Different manufacturers seem to produce slightly different looms apparently.
Some wire colurs change within the sheaving apparently.

Have you wired up the cdi and regulator?
wrecklessrobbie

If you look on lambrettaspares.com
Fitting the bgm regulator.

That might be the diagram you need.
Or am certain someone a bit more knowledgable than me can explain it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information