electronic ignition wiring confusion

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Daggs

In Sticky's book you will find "MB's simplified wiring loom drawing for a 12v conversion"
If you don't have Sticky's book? You should get it.
Meds1
Main scooter: Lambretta li150s

Think of it as a set of completely separate circuits.

You have correctly identified the red/white/green go to the C.D.I.
The green wire also feeds up to the headset and is shorted straight to earth via the ignition switch when switched off, this stops the scooter starting.
The green wires need to be segregated from the rest of the supplies or you will interfere with the firing pulse.

The pink feeds to the brake light via the brake light switch

The purple feeds the sidelight circuit and back light via the ignition switch in position 2

The brown feeds the horn at all times and with the ignition switch in position 3 the headlight and back lights.

The yellow from the stator is your live lighting circuit feed.
This goes into one side of the regulator. (Possibly marked G)
The regulated output comes from the other side.(also marked G).
The earth needs to be connected to frame- otherwise the regulator can’t dump the excess power and regulate the voltage.

The regulated output needs to be connected to the pink,purple and brown.
The purple/brown can be connected up either at the bottom or in the headset.

I suggest that you build the electrical system up in stages.
Ignition circuit
Then the regulated brake light circuit
Then the purple circuit
Then the brown, including the horn.
That way if you bollox it up you know which circuit your wired wrong or has a fault
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

yes the BGM AC Type original loom is the best diagram I've found yet if you want to use your existing original wiring loom .
Thanks for all your help buddy its much appreciated.
johnny650

Daggs wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:50 pm In Sticky's book you will find "MB's simplified wiring loom drawing for a 12v conversion"
If you don't have Sticky's book? You should get it.
thanks daggs but that diagram doesn't help me as it uses a new electronic wiring loom and i am installing my electronic ignition to my existing original wiring loom as I explained earlier. ;)
fyi I have all 3 eds of Sticky and none of the included diagrams answered my questions unfortunately .
I have now used a BGM diagram thanks
johnny650

I think this diagram from scooterpromo is the clearest I have found
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Late to this one but I like to keep original looms and introduce the 12V junction box that makes everything common to the 12V feed back from regulator (AC systems), other than the ignition greens that remain isolated. SIL introduced this round junction box and I've found it a great way to keep the standard loom and commonly find that all other circuits work correctly first time.

SILL were smart enough to produce this in a different colour so that you immediately know that it is wired for 12v, rather than 6v, but most dealers will now sell a 12v version in black...

http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... sil-round/
johnny650

thanks Adam for the link.
like you I prefer to retain the existing loom and junction box however mine is the rectangular 150LiS version.

I have joined the existing wires together in the JB and run a yellow wire to the Regulator.
'
There are so many different wiring diagrams out there it is confusing. many do not show vital earthing points for the CDI and regulator and to add to the confusion many of the yellow and red wires shown on diagrams are used for different functions

I knocked this diagram together to try to clarify all the connections. If anyone spots an error please let me know and I'll amend it.Image[/photobuckvid]
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261 ... c2sunr.jpg[/photobuckvid]
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261 ... c2sunr.jpg
johnny650

christ this site is a piece of crap!.... there isn't even 5x seconds for anyone to alter or amend an error or ommission.
How hard can it be to sort this problem once and for all ? why is this the only forum site on the internet that does not permit members to edit their posts ????
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

hi johnny650 I feel your pain matey, what I try to do is preview the message before I post it, you can then alter it before you press submit, I make lots of errors in spelling etc, I am I one finger typer, takes me bloody ages, plus my big fat finger will often hit the wrong key, it doesn't help that I cant see the keys very well, where did I put my reading glasses ?, I am forever having to go back and alter posts, your not on your own, interesting read on your wiring problems, think we have all been there at one time or another, I will just preview this before I post it.

holty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information