piston to bore clearance

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

What new kit tell us more and is it true there only open 3 days a week

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

garry inglis wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:15 pm What new kit tell us more and is it true there only open 3 days a week

WHAT !!! .............they're opening an extra day :o
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

garry inglis wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:15 pm What new kit tell us more and is it true there only open 3 days a week

ive had it in my hand, piston port going to be available for smallblock and big block, barrel has a boost port and a split inlet with matching inlet manifold ,double transfers on each side, ive maybe said too much already but its going to be a big seller, nikasil lined and at a price that will amaze you, 200 cc for the smallblock, 200 and 225 for the big block, has big tuning potential.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

Muppet wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:45 pm too big a gap on the rings will cause a massive loss in sealing pressure
could you give me a link to where you found this information muppet .
Not being funny but common sense tells me that a ring gap slightly larger than the recommended tolerance couldn't suddenly cause a 'Massive' loss in compression as you suggest but I'm happy to be proven wrong by facts figures and testing data ;)
What sort of Psi loss are we talking here ?
johnny650

I think we far too readily believe stuff we hear from friends ,read on the net and in magazines that have no source or proof and just keep getting repeated until we accept that it must be true .

I did a little exploring on the net and found this very interesting article about ring gaps and effects on performance .
Written by an Automotive Engineer it relates some extensive testing done by AE on a Ford Kent engine on the effects of oversize ring gaps and effect on performance . It bores out what I suspected .

Short answer it has a negligible effect .......even at extreme oversized gaps.!

The truth is .....that it is the reduced tangental pressure of worn rings, (pressure that the rings exert on the walls of the cylinder), that cause blowby and heavy oil consumption not ring gaps.

http://www.diagnosticengineers.org/jour ... 20Gaps.php
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

http://www.diagnosticengineers.org/jour ... 20Gaps.php
this only refers to fourstroke engines
C’est la vie
johnny650

Muppet wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:05 pm http://www.diagnosticengineers.org/jour ... 20Gaps.php
this only refers to fourstroke engines

All piston rings work in exactly the same way regardless of how many cylinders there are or what use the engine is put to.

Piston rings seal against the cylinder walls . Where is the difference on a 2 stroke cylinder ? ;)
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

from the very limited knowledge that I have of two strokes and four stroke I believe four strokes have valves that control and SEAL OFF the inlet and exhaust gasses keeping the apart; a two stroke doesn’t have valves it has a primary chamber and secondary chamber; the primary chamber is what holds the unburnt gasses below the piston and piston rings; if the rings can not effectively seal off both chambers from each other then this effect would be similar to leaking inlet and exhaust valves on a four stroke.
I’m most likely mistaken in my thinking of how the two stroke pump works im hoping someone with a knowledge and understanding of two strokes might come along and correct me without quoting from the internet about four strokes
C’est la vie
johnny650

its clearly a complex subject ,I don't think any of us is likely to have any real personal evidence one way or another. You'd need a sophisticated testing facility to measure minute compression losses.

The point I was making was that I cannot see any evidence for 'massive' compression and performance losses through ring gaps no matter how over-sized they might be .

If you find an authenticated reference one way or the other perhaps you'd post it as it is a hotly debated subject with little or no actual evidence or proof .
firekdp

That testing was done with new rings, of the same size, with altered ring gaps. So only measuring the affect of the ring gap itself. The sealing pressure of the ring itself would be identical.
However, we are only measuring the ring gap to determine wear, if the ring gap has got significantly bigger since a rebuild, that is only down to ring or bore wear, so sealing pressure/compression will be diminished.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information