Li150 seized. What do you think.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dragoonpvw
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Ok, I am waiting for my flywheel puller, otherwise completely stripped for working. The conrod looks trashed but I will wait till it gets out.
I have made my decision, I am staying simple till I get to know these engines better.I am going with a standard head and piston. if you guys know any solid providers , I know most of them are indian and I am not sure what the quality will be.
I am going with a new Tameni 58x107 crank or similar quality . New seals and bearings in case.
My reasoning is first of all, simplicity. The scoot starts first time every time and runs great, so keeping the standard carb and exhaust will keep the price down. It will be good practice rebuilding to a known standard..
Having a high quality crank at 58x107 with an Italian series 3 Li 150 gearbox will suit a mildly tuned RT195 later.
I can get my cylinder bored out if necessary and get an over size piston .
if you guys can recommend a good quality standard head and piston , that would be a great help.
The quattrini looks nice and I see the germans and chiselspeed are really pushing it, But I am not trying to run the ragged edge here, just relive my youth.
Warkton, why did you say the crank in mine is a GP crank, I thought it wouldn't fit as the taper is different, and I know the new BGM stator and Flywheel are the Li version, They wouldn't go together would they.
Anyway, I will post pics when I get the flywheel off and the crank out.
I am sure you know that an old British army tank guy is almost getting blue nuts fighting the urge to just muscle the flywheel off without the tool, But I suppose Id better just wait, it wont be long.
Thanks guys, as I said, point me to a good inexpensive standard head and piston kit and I will be off.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

wrecklessrobbie wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:36 pm Ah ok Scooterdue...
Have you any experience of the kit?
No absolutely none whatsoever.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Get in touch with af rayspeed. They will rebore to next oversize, supply piston, crank and head, plus all the seals, bearings etc.

I find them very reasonably priced and extremely helpful......IF you can get them to answer the phone. It's best to call in if you're nor too far from East Yorkshire, otherwise just keep trying especially after 5pm.

Sensible approach by the way.
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

I think he lives in Florida..Hendy.

Have you joined the lambretta club of USA.
Someone on there may be able to help you.

Be nice to see some pictures on here and see how you get on with it :D
hendy

wrecklessrobbie wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:44 am I think he lives in Florida..Hendy.
Too far to walk. IMHO.
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

Might be quicker to walk there...than get them to answer the phone... :shock:
Meds1
Main scooter: Lambretta li150s

This is my opinion only
I spent lots of time and cash trying to get a standard scoot to run well and it never did.
In the end I fitted an RT kit 195 kit
If your going to end up with an RT kit, I would read the info on the MB developments site, it recommends a 60x110 crank.
dragoonpvw
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

What problems have you had trying to get a standard scoot to run. My scoot sat for weeks and kicked first time. Only new stuff was BGM v4 dc ignition and fast flow tap.
That is why I am leaning towards keeping it standard right now. Any leads to a standard head and piston would be a help. I can get an oversize and have a local shop who do great work reboring, but the head is old and a couple of fins have bits broke off. An inexpensive replacement would be great.

Meds, I read the MB site and they are happy with the 58 x107 for the rt 195 but it is limited to its setup, not so with the 60 x 107. They do prefer the 60x110 .
The 58x107 .
I don't have the cash to do a full rt195 tune right now so putting a mix and match doesn't make sense with a machine that does everything I want at the moment.
hendy

I've no idea how you would get on with import duty etc, but ......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LAMBRETTA- ... SwxH1T60UA
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

This discussion has become more complex due to uncertainty of what could be done with the opportunity to take advantage of upgrading the components within the top end.

It's difficult to see if the crank is GP type or not, but in any event, it needs removal & replacing or fixing.

The existing flywheel is allegedly a smaller taper type, so that has to be taken into consideration. Should it be kept, modified or exchanged? Can it be bored to suit a GP taper were a GP crankshaft selected for the rebuild?

I think most of us would agree that budgetary constraints as well as the intended performance are major factors, but until the crankshaft issue is known & the likely Tameni replacement decided (if it fits the existing flywheel......) then the choice of the rest of the top end will be limited.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information