Li150 seized. What do you think.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Daggs wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:12 pm
Doom Patrol wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:39 am Don't get hung up on fully synth oil. You really don't need it for a standard 150.
My point was not about "getting hung up" on any particular oil. It was; did he remember to put ANY in the fuel (which it seems he did)
Don't get hung up on any particular oil, but use fully synthetic eh? Not that you're contradicting yourself at all. :roll: :roll:
Daggs

Doom Patrol wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:01 pm
Daggs wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:12 pm
Doom Patrol wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:39 am Don't get hung up on fully synth oil. You really don't need it for a standard 150.
My point was not about "getting hung up" on any particular oil. It was; did he remember to put ANY in the fuel (which it seems he did)
Don't get hung up on any particular oil, but use fully synthetic eh? Not that you're contradicting yourself at all. :roll: :roll:
If I had said did you put any oil in? The reply would have been from. yes/no/how much should I/what type. I made my RECOMMENDATION, that's all.
Like I said people coming on the thread just to contradict, helps no one, least of all the OP.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Rather than attempt to point out other Forum User’s potential flaws, I considered those in my own advice.

(Kerist! How humble am I? Should I start chanting in Tube Stations whilst wearing predominantly orange & having a shaved head? But then, how would people tell me apart from the average scooterist?)

By studying the video again, it is more obvious that the engine is by no means as originally built, for which some of my initial advice would have been more relevant, should the owner wished to keep things as standard build.

There is already a GP crank fitted, in which case, it may well be an Indian crank with its original, poor quality, big end bearing.

In which case, my advice remains in pressing the crankshaft apart & fitting a good quality con rod kit.

(Perhaps some of us are unaware of just how good the SIL webs are, regarding their fit on the pin. Many BSSO riders must surely have proven their reliability over the years as the webs are sought out rather than utilise Mazzucchelli or MEC-EUR)
Meds1
Main scooter: Lambretta li150s

If it were me , I would have the crank rebuilt as a minimum.
Any decent motorcycle shop will rebuild the conrod
But
For me it would come down to cost, time and reliability. You could chuck $75 at it and end up with a crap crank if its built wrong
I replaced mine for exactly that reason.
Depending on how bad the cylinder is you might get away with as little as a new set of rings.

Buy sticky’s manual, it’s the best money I ever spent on a lambretta
Find the local scoote club- there is one in Orlando and find out where they get stuff done
There are a couple of shops in America that I know off

http://scooter-speed.com
http://www.lambretta.net
Have fun
dragoonpvw
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Thanks Guys. I am by no means a mechanical beginner. I have restored and am responsible for maintenance on a 71 Rolls Royce as well as Marine diesels and gennys on the yacth. I run about 20 two stroke plane engines, singles and twins. So oil mixes etc I am OK with. I usually use Amsoil Dominator on my run in engines at 50-1 and fossil for break in but they are usually 10 minute high speed runs. I know this scoot has been run on low oil mix and will stay with what is recommended after it is rebuilt. I need advice on what I am looking at mainly. Thanks Warkton for giving me a base idea of the internals. I guessed once I dug into it and started stripping that it wasn't going to be all original internals, which can lead to all kinds of weird mixes, I bought the bike off a local English lad who bought it from a New Yorker, supposedly restored. The local lad did a full cosmetic restoration beautifully and paid for a BGM ignition conversion, and gearbox sorting out, I am sure he was sure the internals were original as he was proud of the fact, I wasn't sure . Until I just got the engine out after its mishap, I had no idea nor did the seller.When I took the cylinder head cover off, it seemed likely the head and cylinder were from different times. I have no regrets as getting it right is most important and I knew it could be a little off. I am quite happy getting a new crank, bearings and seals etc. If the original restorer who the guy I bought off wasn't too impressed with has done an iffy job I want to get it right. I am not rich so this will be a labour of love but I am willing to shell out what needs to be done. I want reliability and longevity, but as original as poss. Getting it on the road without changing carbs and gears is my goal right now, but if I am in the main pot I might as well get the cylinder head crank and everything sorted. I am trying to get Spanners manual over here but it has been a problem, just went to MB and they want 29 quid shipping . I will get it though.
By the way, don't worry about contentious posts, I have five sons so have to listen to them all the time, everyone has an idea, I wont disregard any posts and thank you all.

These are my ideas so far,
Option 1, pull apart, rebuild or replacecrankif too damaged and replace seals. If cylinder is not ok, get oversize 2 and rebore.
Option 2, get new Crank, maybe tameni 58x107 and again cylinder and piston clean or rebore.
Option 3 rebuild or replace crank and get new head and cylinder, a combo that will work with the carb and gearbox internals that I have at the moment.
option 4 go to 175 or 195 race tour if they are reliable and reliable.
option 5 any combo of the above based on ideas from you guys after seeing what parts I am starting with.

Again I ask is this the right place to keep this thread going for advice, Or should I start a separate LI 150 rebuild thread so any other new guy can find the info.
Whichever it is, I will take pics of carb and case etc and keep updated as it is stripped, and let you guys guide me with your superior knowledge.
By the way, Im 60 years old next week and have been waiting for a Lammy for 45 years, Id like to ride it before I die.if there is a quick get on the road route so I can ride and then look at upgrading, I am up for that too.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Thank you for explaining the parameters & your open-minded outlook in respect of suggestions.

As somebody that has owned & ridden Lambrettas continuously since 1973, I have witnessed the times when they were almost extinct in the UK, apart from enthusiastic Northerners & Racers keeping the flame going. Nowadays, I see the development of engines gathering pace by adopting well established methods gleaned from other two stroke engine manufacturers.

As you have a small-block, I’ll throw in my two-pennyworth.

I have yet to ride one, but may well likely be building one, but the best kit you can buy has to be the State-of-the-Art Max Quatrini kit for that stud configuration.

It has the inlet on the correct side (in a sensible position, not dictated by convention!) & so much original thought that many other kit manufacturers must be kicking themselves! Here is a kit that is tractable & civilised, yet lights up with a twist of the throttle. Little wonder that the 210-cc limit is being ‘enforced’ by the BSSO to exclude this kit against the RB20 as there would be some seriously peed-off entrepreneurs if the MQ’s were to enter the fray!

Tuning potential is massive, but out-of-the-box, reliable high torque & power are delivered.

Combined with the (admittedly, so far) limited choice of exhausts & a proper, filtered, two stroke carb such as Sudco sell, I would imagine the best combination could be achieved in terms of ‘bangs per buck’

If your crank is Indian, it seriously is a good basis for a kit such as the MQ, but, if it were me, I’d opt to long stroke it. 62 mm should do nicely…..

I hope my suggestions help, but, no doubt, may well cause some controversy as it is early days for the MQ, & if there’s one thing you can be certain of, there are many of ‘us’ that take comfort in our choices, especially if those choices that we make, are then adopted by others.
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

I was intrugued by your appraisal of the Quattrini Cylinder..Warkton.
I did not know any thing about them. So i googled and found this.

https://scooterlab.uk/max-quattrinis-ne ... -kit-news/

Now i know its a year old and so is probably out of date. It also mentions modification will be made on the next production run of cylinders.

However the two things that caught my eye are the price...699 euros...
And

the German Scooter Forum have identified is that the transfer cutaways in the barrel are actually bigger than the gasket face of an Italian engine casing! The barrel looks like it will seal on the Spanish or Indian 150 casings that have the same gasket area as the 200. Alternatively the crankcase mouth can be built up with weld or Devcon to offer more gasket area. Certainly it doesn’t look like an easy bolt-on for standard casings just yet.

However, for those interested in experimenting, Casa Performance have told us that they plan to make a dedicated version of the CasaCase with the correct stud pattern and pre-machined gasket face area to suit the Quattrini 210

Maybe not the cylinder kit for a newbie.
More suited to a competant engine builder such as yourself and others on here.
Certainly looks an interesting kit though.

Robbie
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

wrecklessrobbie wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:01 pm I was intrugued by your appraisal of the Quattrini Cylinder..Warkton.

Now i know its a year old and so is probably out of date. It also mentions modification will be made on the next production run of cylinders.

And

the German Scooter Forum have identified is that the transfer cutaways in the barrel are actually bigger than the gasket face of an Italian engine casing! The barrel looks like it will seal on the Spanish or Indian 150 casings that have the same gasket area as the 200. Alternatively the crankcase mouth can be built up with weld or Devcon to offer more gasket area. Certainly it doesn’t look like an easy bolt-on for standard casings just yet.

However, for those interested in experimenting, Casa Performance have told us that they plan to make a dedicated version of the CasaCase with the correct stud pattern and pre-machined gasket face area to suit the Quattrini 210

Robbie
Check out Solidair’s Quattrini build thread its all in there.
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

Ah ok Scooterdue...will do.
Looks like the guy has put some serious thought into it.
Have you any experience of the kit?
Warkton Tornado No.1

wrecklessrobbie wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:01 pm I was intrugued by your appraisal of the Quattrini Cylinder..Warkton.

And

Robbie
The German Scooter Forum appear to be the only users that have encountered any issues with the transfer area. Maybe their blocks have shrank in the wash......

However, development has already yielded excellent results, wth UK established Tuners achieving easily over 30 BHP with huge torque.

Chiselspeed have a demonstration bike & from what I understand, if you take a ride, you will be addicted...... ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information