Li150 seized. What do you think.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Great rebuild for first time and great photos nice work

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

dragoonpvw
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Here she is, rebuilt and running good. New lights and flyscreen with li decalsImage

Sent from my Z851 using Tapatalk

Steveshipley
Main scooter: Sx150

excellent, just need some good weather to enjoy it.
dragoonpvw

If anyone has a minute and wants to see it running in the pack, doing a video for Lambretta Club USA in Saint Augustine FL.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J1CQzF ... sp=sharing
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

Nice looking scooter.
Looks a great place to ride out with friends.
One thing i thought when looking at it, you might want to try some bolt on dampers on the front end. Will reduce the bounce a little bit when going over bumps etc.
I have them on mine and it takes out some of the rocking.
Other than that it looks and sounds good.
You must be pleased with the results of your hard work :D
dragoonpvw

Actually, I bought new springs for the bike and new shocks. I got the shocks on a while ago, and it made a world of difference. I didn't have time to do a front end rebuild before the photo shoot, so I just rode it. I rebuilt the front end this week and it is night and day. The brakes were seized and only worked by flexing the shoe, Now you can apply them with a finger and it has new bearings, seals, springs and rubbers. Not quite like a GP with dampers but still a pretty solid comfortable feeling ride now.
dragoonpvw

Looked good like everything else on this bike, pretty but covering up years of original Rusty partsImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my cp3636a using Tapatalk

wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

Ah so you have put front dampers on?
If not i was meaning this type.

https://youtu.be/LzSmjE7dyEc

Fairly cheap, not original but do improve the handling.

Just a thought.
Some people like them some dont.
I had the brackets welded on my forks.
But before i stripped it someone in spain had used this type and left the bolt on brackets on.

Am sure it will handle better now though as you have fitted new springs and sorted the brake.

Robbie
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

if the engine seized on decel then the likelihood is that the mixture was too weak at idle. ie Pilot too small, idle mixture set too lean or an air leak
On deceleration with the throttle closed there is only the idle circuit open . Your gear and engine speed may be as high as 3-4000rpm but its only receiving a tiny idle mixture....so its essential to get the pilot size and idle mixture setting correct .
i usually pull the clutch and blip my throttle a few times if its a high speed deceleration to get more fuel into the engine

If you put 4% in you run the risk of the engine not getting sufficient cooling. Remember its the petrol that cools the engine not the oil which is for lubrication

I would suggest you consider using a proper ml mixing jug for the oil . I invariably fill a can with 5 litres at the garage then add 3% ie 150ml of oil and shake to mix it thoroughly. its much simpler to get the oil mix right when you use a nice round figure of 5L

Unless you are a perfectonist with a fat wallet my suggestion would be to reuse everything as it is providing the big end is not damaged . Use some fine wet n dry to deglaze the cylinder and make sure that the ports do not have sharp edges to catch a ring .
I reused a scored 185cc Indian cylinder that had not had the piston rings and ports dressed properly so a ring caught and the pin came out and scored the bore . Most would have rebored , I just chucked a new piston kit in and this is the result . Judge for yourself .
https://youtu.be/wAvRfYK_HrI
dragoonpvw

johnny650 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:49 pm if the engine seized on decel then the likelihood is that the mixture was too weak at idle. ie Pilot too small, idle mixture set too lean or an air leak
On deceleration with the throttle closed there is only the idle circuit open . Your gear and engine speed may be as high as 3-4000rpm but its only receiving a tiny idle mixture....so its essential to get the pilot size and idle mixture setting correct .
i usually pull the clutch and blip my throttle a few times if its a high speed deceleration to get more fuel into the engine

If you put 4% in you run the risk of the engine not getting sufficient cooling. Remember its the petrol that cools the engine not the oil which is for lubrication

I would suggest you consider using a proper ml mixing jug for the oil . I invariably fill a can with 5 litres at the garage then add 3% ie 150ml of oil and shake to mix it thoroughly. its much simpler to get the oil mix right when you use a nice round figure of 5L

Unless you are a perfectonist with a fat wallet my suggestion would be to reuse everything as it is providing the big end is not damaged . Use some fine wet n dry to deglaze the cylinder and make sure that the ports do not have sharp edges to catch a ring .
I reused a scored 185cc Indian cylinder that had not had the piston rings and ports dressed properly so a ring caught and the pin came out and scored the bore . Most would have rebored , I just chucked a new piston kit in and this is the result . Judge for yourself .
https://youtu.be/wAvRfYK_HrI
If you read the thread you will realise the scoot has been rebuilt already, I have 1500 miles on it and it runs like a champ. It seized because the big end disintegrated and locked the crank up. This is mine running and 56.1 mph gps with the original 150 head on it and all 150 equipment. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J1CQzF ... sp=sharing
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information