Indian li150 gearbox

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
225worb
Main scooter: Vespa 225, Falc , 230 S2

Trying to source an Italian li150 gearbox for my ts230 but of course prices are around the £140 mark... Are the Indian ones good enough to use, will they handle the abuse and power and half the price!!
Bensmith225
Main scooter: Lambretta gp monza 225

Yes mate, been abusing one in my monza every day for the last 3 years with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Hi mate

Try Trevor Emerton on faceache he may have what you are looking for.

Good luck

Cgt75b
225worb

I'm not on face boredom... What's he got
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

I have just bought some loose gears off him and I'm very happy with the price + the service.

Facebook is a very useful tool if used correctly, maybe it's time for you to dip your toe in and test the water, but hey that's your choice.

Like I said before the best of look.

Kind regards

Cgt75b
225worb

Hmmmmmmm
well ...i purchased a curry burner gearbox, tried fitting it today...
Cilla black......it doesnt fit properly!!
gear cluster is an interference fit on the end plate bearing, the first gear inner lugs catch on the sliding dog in neutral !!
Are all the indian gearboxs made by the same company ?
Ive just removed the tv200 box from mine if anyone is interested ?
Do i go for the af 5 speed or source an italian li150 box or a good indian form a reputable dealer ???
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

225worb wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:17 pm Hmmmmmmm
gear cluster is an interference fit on the end plate bearing, the first gear inner lugs catch on the sliding dog in neutral !!
Do i go for the af 5 speed or source an italian li150 box or a good indian form a reputable dealer ???
Have you thought of trying the AF 4 speed close ratio? i'm using them in my Monzas and very happy with them, prefer them to the li150 box and like you say with those boxes getting more expensive the close ratio is only £45 more and it's new not 2nd hand.You might need to change your sprocketing but worth doing.
the man don't give a f@@k
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

225worb wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:17 pm Hmmmmmmm
Personally, I've had breakages of 'remade' gears & clusters including those manufactured by DRT, AF CR & non SIL.

They can be hard enough but too brittle, unfortunately.

Correct gearing can be a trade off between clutch & the 'box & my SX Rapido/Suzuki TS 70.5mm x 61mm utilises one of the ScootRS six plate clutches & pulls 19 x 46 with Pacemaker.

I'm toying with the idea of trying TV200 as it's the same overall ratio, but don't want to 'lose' the Pacemaker 'box.

I might have a 'strong' Indian GP 'box if you wanted to swap, but in all honesty, the TV200 'box is extremely strong & you might try a 47/48 sprocket or even 14 front with a better clutch to cope, rather than risk the minefield of dubious Indian 'boxes.......
225worb

Thanks for all the feed back......Ive found an sx 200 gearbox from a mate which should work a treat ....
Looking forward to being able to keep it in the power in forth and keeping a steady speed...
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

Being able to keep in the power in 4th is more a function of final drive ratio rather than gearbox chosen, that is by varying front sprocket and crownwheel you can end up with the appropriate final drive ratio on (just about) any gearbox. What is generally more of an issue on a tuned engine is the jump between 3rd and 4th , i.e. falling out of the powerband when you make the change into 4th. In this respect the Li150 box is better than the SX200 because it has a smaller jump between 3rd and 4th. The Indian GP200 box (but not the Italian GP200) has an even smaller jump between 3rd and 4th making it even more suitable for an engine with a small powerband. You can use the excellent Excel tool created by Tony Cassidy to see the effect of different gearbox/sprocket/powerband configurations: avantone.wordpress.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information