Uni rear hub cone

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
fluff34567

Hi all,

Bought a uni rear hub few months ago, went to fit it today and think the supplied cone is incorrect.

The shaft splines are about 5mm inside the keyways so only half way through the hub.

What cone should I get??

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

fluff34567

fluff34567 wrote:Hi all,

Bought a uni rear hub few months ago, went to fit it today and think the supplied cone is incorrect.

The shaft splines are about 5mm inside the keyways so only half way through the hub.

What cone should I get??

With pic this time Image

Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

The splines should not come all the way through but it is hard to tell whether this is the correct cone from photos. In order to assess it you really want to be examining how the cone fits into the corresponding seat from the inside (cone in hub when it is off the bike).
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

would you want the splines to come right through the hub? The cone holds the hub on to the axle the pressure from the hub nut makes sure it's tight 120 ft/Lb torque lastly the lock washer keeps the nut in place
C’est la vie
fluff34567

I would have expected it to come through a lot more than it does currently.. it's my first lambretta if you hadn't guessed ;)

Muppet

I have a uni rear hub on mine so I will take a look and see if it fits like yoirs and I'll let you know if it's the same
C’est la vie
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

That would be right. You don't want the splines coming right through the hub, as when you add the washer and nut and tighten down, you won't be getting the hub to tighten on the shaft correctly. Also, make sure the split in the cone is directly on top of one of the splines as in Sticky's manual.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
Muppet

uni hub Italian layshaft splines are 4mm inside the keyways with uni hub tightened @120 ftlb
C’est la vie
fluff34567

Muppet wrote:uni hub Italian layshaft splines are 4mm inside the keyways with uni hub tightened @120 ftlb
Cheers, mine is about the same. I would have expected the shaft to be flush tbh. The hub has a chamfer so no issues with tightening etc. Oh well more Italian oddity
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information