Chain tension and scootopia chain

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
fluff34567

Stickys says 6mm up and down movement,. Is it 6mm up and 6mm down giving a total movement of 12mm or a total of 6mm as it can be taken both ways.

Next. I have a new scootopia chain and it's extremely tight so much so I took it off and put in the older Regina chain.

Anyone else experienced that with a scootopia chain, or does it loosen up quickly?

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Don't get too hung up on accuracy, the 6mm is only intended as a rough guide. When you have a feel for it you'll not even consider the measurement, just know that 'it's about right', by feel. However, I'd suggest that it is 6mm total... being 6mm (ish) slack that you can gently push the chain up, and then cover the same back to rest when released. 6mm up and the same 6mm down... = 6mm total... not 12mm.

However, as I say, don't get too concerned about mm accuracy as you could simply push harder to force a greater distance. Really, you just want to take the majority of slack out of the chain and leave a little slack so that it is not too tight / stressed at rest.

I have had new chains that are a little tighter than I would have liked but have not knowingly had any issues as a result. If this is a new chain and matched to the correct sprocket combination (i.e. 80 15/46 or 82 18/47) then I'd not worry if it seems a little tight to start with as it'll bed in. However, if you are putting an already worn/stretched chain under too much pressure to fit a non-standard sprocket combo (e.g. stretched 82 19/47) then I'd think twice about it.

Adam
fluff34567

Cheers Adam, went with a bit of play and will check after a while.

I used the old chain as it's not really worn but unknown to me.

The scootopia chain was very tight, I had difficulty to install the clutch. Maybe just a bad one.

Sprockets are the right combination btw

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

Hi Fluff, besides your new chain, are either the front sprocket or crownwheel new? Or from the original/ a different engine? There are some awful versions of both out there, either slightly over/ undersized and I've seen both sprockets and crown wheels machined off centre (eccentric). Your original/ new parts may fall into this category. Might be worth a look, as if eccentric especially, your original chain may have already been stretched by this. Very highly unlikely the chain from Scootopia is "too short", they are an industry standard pitch chain.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information